Pics of my 331 Trickflow build....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys....

Update, with the tranny in, the hood has 1" clearance minimum with the 96 cobra hood. Even with the 3/8 spacer and the hood support running across it. This is however withOUT a hood liner.

• Sponsors (?)

Whats the diameter of that C&L pipe??? it seems to fit the LMAF well, what reducer did you use?? i was going to make one out of abs pipe but yours looks real clean.

Outside diameter is 3.5" aprox. I'll have to look up the inside MM on their website.
I used a 4" to 3.5" reducer. Hopefully I'll be able to get a bigger T/B down the road. I only have a 65mm now.

Edit: hell didn't know I was quoting the same person, or I would have answered both posts at once. :rlaugh:

also how is the idle of the TFS stage 2 cam as thats what also running??

I'm still on a temp tune.... but every once in a while it'll idle for around 5 minutes on it's own before it dies. I still haven't set the timing to base yet, I know, shame on me. Been really busy this week with our club's track rental coming up. :p

It sounds mean though. I hope to get it over to my buddys shop so we can put it on the lift, put in the sub-frames and tighten all the exhaust down some more. I have leak back at the h-pipe.

Well, the rear main may have just started leaking. :bang: I'll know tonight. Could it be crank case pressure? If so, what do you do about it. I added the hose from the filler tube to the C&L pipe. Do I need a filter on the drivers side as well? My PCV valve is fairly new.

I'm 90% sure the rear main is the culprit. It "could" be the lower intake on the rear of the engine, but it sure doesn't look like it with a mirror.

:bang:

Just an update on the car overall.... timing set at 10* - once the computer had time to adjust, it now idles pretty darn good. I'm very impressed with Don's tune so far. I'm STILL waiting on my USB/Serial adapter to start the datalogging. AND for the blasted rain storms to stop rolling in.

Once I get the oil leak fixed... I should be good to go on getting past the start up chip. :nice:

Well, the new news... is not good. :bang:

I've kinda hidden a few small issues with the car during this build, basically in respect to the builder. Now it's time for an update.

I'm getting the car ready tonight for the engine to be pulled. Glad I didn't return the cherry picker now. The car idles, runs good, but LEAKS oil and water real bad. The cometic head gaskets failed to seal for some reason. I haven't even run it WOT yet. They are leaking on the OUTSIDE of the block. Nothing to show they are leaking inside yet. But I didn't put coolant in it, so it's a little tough to tell. It's definitely leaking WATER from the front of the head gasket on the passenger side. It honestly appears it's coming out BETWEEN the metal of the head gasket.

I previously had an issue with crank clearance and my dipstick. The crank basically ate the end of it. We found all but the tip. A replacement dipstick proved it didn't matter how much I bent the dipstick, it physically would not go in... UNLESS I turn the engine where the crank is out of the way. Basically I can't LEAVE it in there while it's running. Not a life threatening issue to check the oil while the engine isn't running, but a pain. So not perfect, but workable.

The stock pan I got had the stupid plug stripped just enough we didn't find out until AFTER dropping the engine in and filled it up with oil. We ran an oversize plug in the pan, and got it to seal all but a drop or two a week. Not perfect, but again workable.

Instead of trying to change the head gaskets in the car (we still don't know why they failed or what to replace them with) I made the decision to pull the whole thing out. I'm basically there anyway, and we can fix the stupid pan while we are fixing everything else.

Well, there's the latest. And it sucks. I'm not happy, never even got to flog on the car. I did run it about 80% throttle in 3rd last night and it was faster than having the bottle on the old stock engine with the temp tune, engine leaking, and basically not broken in all the way.

Just in case I decide to go the route of a bigger oil pan. Can anyone recommend one that you KNOW will fit in the stock K-member? Remember 331, Probe girdle, AODE, BBK ceramic coated shorties.

Well, the new news... is not good. :bang:

I've kinda hidden a few small issues with the car during this build, basically in respect to the builder. Now it's time for an update.

I'm getting the car ready tonight for the engine to be pulled. Glad I didn't return the cherry picker now. The car idles, runs good, but LEAKS oil and water real bad. The cometic head gaskets failed to seal for some reason. I haven't even run it WOT yet. They are leaking on the OUTSIDE of the block. Nothing to show they are leaking inside yet. But I didn't put coolant in it, so it's a little tough to tell. It's definitely leaking WATER from the front of the head gasket on the passenger side. It honestly appears it's coming out BETWEEN the metal of the head gasket.

I previously had an issue with crank clearance and my dipstick. The crank basically ate the end of it. We found all but the tip. A replacement dipstick proved it didn't matter how much I bent the dipstick, it physically would not go in... UNLESS I turn the engine where the crank is out of the way. Basically I can't LEAVE it in there while it's running. Not a life threatening issue to check the oil while the engine isn't running, but a pain. So not perfect, but workable.

The stock pan I got had the stupid plug stripped just enough we didn't find out until AFTER dropping the engine in and filled it up with oil. We ran an oversize plug in the pan, and got it to seal all but a drop or two a week. Not perfect, but again workable.

Instead of trying to change the head gaskets in the car (we still don't know why they failed or what to replace them with) I made the decision to pull the whole thing out. I'm basically there anyway, and we can fix the stupid pan while we are fixing everything else.

Well, there's the latest. And it sucks. I'm not happy, never even got to flog on the car. I did run it about 80% throttle in 3rd last night and it was faster than having the bottle on the old stock engine with the temp tune, engine leaking, and basically not broken in all the way.

Just in case I decide to go the route of a bigger oil pan. Can anyone recommend one that you KNOW will fit in the stock K-member? Remember 331, DSS girdle, AODE, BBK ceramic coated shorties.
i have a qa1 kmember, but to the best of my knowledge, the canton 7qt pan i have should clear the stock parts without an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.