Posessed Door chime!

Gr8One1998

Apr 1, 2008
The chime that alerts you when the door is open and the keys are in the ignition or the lights are on seems to be posessed in my 95 GT.

It occasionally keeps chiming when the door is open and my keys are OUT of the ignition, it chimes whenever i turn the lights on, and sometimes it just randomly starts while I'm driving. Any ideas on what might be wrong or how to fix?

• Sponsors (?)

The sensor that triggers the door chime is clipped on with a thin bit of plastic, they tend to break. It's a little electrical contact on the bottom of the steering column, under the ignition cylinder. You have to take the plastic off of the steering column to see it.

I fixed mine by taping the sensor back on to the steering column with electrical tape. I wrapped around the ignition cylinder housing a few times and it's held for years.

Also note if your ignition lock ears broke free from the cylinder. If this is so, the ears can spin 360* and cause the issue since the switch is no longer indexed.

Mine chimed when the door was open, keys in or out, but no other time. So I just unplugged the little white box under the dash that actually makes the noise and took it out:D