Priming in my garage???

You guys talked me into priming as I strip the ol Stanger.

Correct me if my thinking is wrong: When I am spraying epoxy primer in my garage I don't have to worry a lot about dust and stuff getting into the paint because it's all going to get block sanded anyway... I understand I want it as clean as possible, but not near as clean as if i was spraying color or clear, right?

Edit: To clarify, I am talking about the area in the garage, not the bare metal I'll be spraying, that will be super clean and properly prepped... Don't need to worry about putting up a tent and filtering the air and all that with primer, correct?

Obviously this is the first time I've done this but do understand that a good paint job is in the prep and don't want to lay a bogus substrate and mess up the final product...

Please advise this paintin' rook. Thanks. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

You really need to have your car clean anytime you spray paint or primer. Stuff will fall into your paint/primer and cause you headaches otherwise.

I had a problem with one of the long sleeve shirts I wore. Lint was dropping off it and falling into the paint. I thought the shirt was clean till then. I had to sand the paint off to get rid of the lint and cat hair in it. After that I would go over the shirts I wore out there with duct tape before I sprayed anything.

I painted my car in the garage with excellent results, and nearly no dust. The trick to keeping it out is to keep the garage clean as possible, wet the floor, move slowly and wear a paint suit. Never, ever paint without one. The disposable paper ones are cheap, and you can reuse them a few times. Look at what you usually find in paint jobs, hair from the painter (the paper Tyvek suits have a hood, use it) and debris from the masking paper. If you re-mask each time and wear a clean paint suit, I promise you won't get as much trash in the paint as you might think.

I've saw people get good results painting outside but the conditions would have to be just right. The good thing about primer is that if you do have a couple bad places you can block sand it and then primer that place again. I've wet my floor before while painting but I've heard professional painter say not to do it. The next paint job I do I'm going to try getting everything as clean as possible in my garage and mop the floor clean. I'll probably let it set over night and then paint. I have one more recommendation. After you paint or prime don't open the garage door to let the fog out. It'll cause dirt to fall on your paint. Don't ask me how I know this. :D

(from your prior thread: Post-stripping rust prevention.)
my uncle is letting me use his paint booth, but i need to have it completely stripped before I take it to his place. I don't have the equipment for spraying a proper epoxy primer. I'm hoping it will only be a couple weeks to a month between stripping and priming.

How much of this process are you going to be doing? Obviously, you are doing the stripping. Who is doing the bodywork? (in your garage or at your uncles shop?). Who is doing the actual painting in your uncles booth?

I painted my car in the garage with excellent results, and nearly no dust. The trick to keeping it out is to keep the garage clean as possible, wet the floor, move slowly and wear a paint suit. Never, ever paint without one. The disposable paper ones are cheap, and you can reuse them a few times. Look at what you usually find in paint jobs, hair from the painter (the paper Tyvek suits have a hood, use it) and debris from the masking paper. If you re-mask each time and wear a clean paint suit, I promise you won't get as much trash in the paint as you might think.

+1, Exactly what I was going to say. I've done a couple cars this way, currently working on the Mach1 like this. Take a part off the car, strip it fix it, epoxy primer it. The less air movement in your painting area, the less junk in the paint. Like zookeeper said, move slowly becuase your movements move air around, and that stirs up dust particles.

I usually spend about 30 minutes with an airhose blowing dust out of cracks and crevaces..... Thesse guys are right, your priming.paint environment needs to be VERY VERY clean, but it's also impontant to have good and proper airflow across your vehicle. That's why it's more difficult to get great results from painting in your garage.... (notice I didnt' say impossible? I've seen it and done it , it just takes more work) Priming is as important as the painting, since it's the foundation of your paintjob, and will reflect through the shiny stuff. Dont compromize on safety either, spend a couple bills on a fresh air supply unit.... they come as cheap as $250.00 from SAS and can reach into the thousands for hte delux units. If you remember that a charcoal respirator costs about $40.00 and you're gonna need to buy several of them (they wear out and become ineffective after about a week) you've almost paid for fresh air.... which is MUCH safer. Sorry to preach.

Most of the dust that ends up in the final paint comes from the painter..... vinyl suits, water mist on your cloths, wet the foor, blow the crap out of the cracks..... tac between coats..... blah blah blah..... it takes alot of attention to detail to paint anywhere, but especially in a garage, but i'ts been done and done very well! I've seen cover vehicles that were done in single bay garages..... I say go for it! Just be safe.

KT.

The speed you have to move the gun across the surface you're laying down the paint/primer on will vary due to the material you're using. I'm sure you've already read/heard all that before.

The paint suit is a good idea. I never thought of that for whatever stupid reason. I did wash my garage floor, but I never had it wet while I was spraying. Seems like there is a problem with the water vapor interfering with laying down the paint somehow.

The worst idea I had was to paint at night. I had to open my garage to let in fresh air, not all the way, just a bit with fans going to blow air out. Anyway, it was a bad idea because of the lower light level. I couldn't see what the paint was doing as I sprayed it on the hood as well so I got a few runs. Then there were the bugs many of whose legs are permanently embedded in my paint. A silent memorial to all those bugs who came before.

How much of this process are you going to be doing? Obviously, you are doing the stripping. Who is doing the bodywork? (in your garage or at your uncles shop?). Who is doing the actual painting in your uncles booth?

I am doing everything. Start to finish. My uncle who has painted many cars will be around to help with the final couple primer coats and then color and clear.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really helpful. I am definitely going to tackle this job myself, so looks like it's time to get to work...

My changein plan is because the original plan was to take a week off from work, start on a Friday evening and go from bare metal to bodywork to primer to color to clear by the following Sunday. Been doing a lot of reading about block sanding and the time involved and I'm not sure I can get it just right in a full week and two weekends working FULL days... Or do you guys think that is possible???

:SNSign:

PS. Th Th Th TH Th Th Thanks 68EFI :lol:

One more thing.

Be sure and print off the data sheets and application instructions for the paint products you will be using. They will outline stuff like paint to thiner mixing percentages, and best application temps.

And, a very knowledgeable auto body/paint supplier is a great help. I know the guy at my local paint store had a lot of useful tips and suggestions for applying the products I purchased.

It's a long drawn out process, but in the end you will be very happy that you did it.

Good luck!!

You can see pics from my paint process here. http://www.lumacrest.com/jimmyray/paint pictures.htm

One thing that will help - after cleaning and blowing out the garage, rinse it out or the dust will remain in the air and guess where it will settle. I've also stapled up plastic drop cloths on the walls. This helps clean things clean. Be sure to wear appropriate safety equipment as mentioned in other responses. You may be cutting yourself short on the time it takes to do your work. You have to wait for the catalyzed primer to cure adequately. Usually needs more than simply overnight. Plus you will be priming more than once.. After shooting color/clear coats, you will have to wait a several days for the paint to cure. if your using clear coats, you probably want to wait a week before polishing. I know we see this work done on programs like "Overhauling" etc. in a week, but remember they use a large very experienced crew. Frequently those vehicles the paint is very soft when they put them together. I've stripped a number of mustangs (along with other vehicles) and painted them, depending on the extent of work, it is not unusual to spend ~100 hours start to finish, especially stripping the vehicle.

Yes, my name is Kevin Tetz I own and operate Paintucation Instructional DVD's and host TRUCKS! TV on Spike Network. I'm flattered that you think you need to thank me, but I don't understand why. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks!

KT.

Are you serious? Kevin, without your help on paintucation.com I would've never in my wildest dreams had the courage to try painting my pride and joy. My username over there was CRFJim, and I spent lots of time reading all the posts, asking questions and without exception I was always treated to sound advice. I can't tell you how many people have stopped by to check out my long-term fastback project and been amazed that the car was painted in my garage, and that it is my first attempt at painting. I'm no magician, I just applied what you taught me. I could've never afforder to pay someone to paint my car, so doing it myself was my only option. Now that it's done, it's a HUGE source of pride as well. Thanks Kevin
Jim "Zookeeper" Elliott

SV400053.jpg

12_8_07carpics010.jpg

SV400612.jpg

BTW, the paint had not been buffed at the time these pics were taken!

Jim! I recognize your login now! VERY nice work on the fastback... I can almost smell the clearcoat outgassing! LOL! Thank you so much for the kind words.... I appreciate it very much. My mission with Paintucation is to try and do exactly that... give people a little inspiration to do it themselves. It looks like your bodywork is first clas too.. nice panel gaps and attention to detail. I'm in the process of revamping the website, if you could send me some pics of your fastback I'll stick em up where they're visible if that's OK with you.

Nice work! and remember that I wasn't there that day..... you did everything! You should be very proud of that car.

KT.