Removed stock gauges, need help

1Slow90coupe

Oct 18, 2005
I converted over to the autometer set up from Florida 5.0. It is excellent! Some of the guys at work said that since I removed the engine temp sending unit and replaced it with a mechanical one and now no signal goes to the ECU that it may cause problems. Is this true?

• Sponsors (?)

The ECT sensor has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature gauge. They are different animals. The ECT sensor is normally located it the RH front of the engine in the water feed tubes for the heater.

Mechanical water temp sending unit

jrichker said:
The ECT sensor has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature gauge. They are different animals. The ECT sensor is normally located it the RH front of the engine in the water feed tubes for the heater.
jrichker:
I am also installing new auto meter guages, carbon fiber, in my rebuilt 5.0 I will tee the oil pressure with copper tubing with the stock sending unit. On the water temp sending unit I was wondering the same thing. Your saying that the sending unit that goes into the lower intake will not affect the computer? I hope so as I would like to have the guages installed before i get the motor in and running. Just leave the factory wire disconnected? Should I change the ECT sensor, it is orginal with over 125,000 miles? I purchased a new ACT sensor, maybe I should change this also.

1slow90coupe, I.m sure your dash looks great with the Florida50 guages.good luck with your car!!
Thanks,
BLK3DGT

Not to get off track too much but I did the same swap on my wifes car. Did you get the alternator to charge the battery when you took out the stock gauge cluster?That took me a few minutes to figure out.
Derick

BLK3DGT said:
jrichker:
I am also installing new auto meter guages, carbon fiber, in my rebuilt 5.0 I will tee the oil pressure with copper tubing with the stock sending unit. On the water temp sending unit I was wondering the same thing. Your saying that the sending unit that goes into the lower intake will not affect the computer? I hope so as I would like to have the guages installed before i get the motor in and running. Just leave the factory wire disconnected? Should I change the ECT sensor, it is orginal with over 125,000 miles? I purchased a new ACT sensor, maybe I should change this also.

1slow90coupe, I.m sure your dash looks great with the Florida50 guages.good luck with your car!!
Thanks,
BLK3DGT
The gauge has a one-wire sending unit located in the lower intake just behind the dizzy. This is what is just for the gauge. You could remove the sender and insulate the stock sending unit wire if you desired. Then just add your new gauge's sender. FWIW, dont put a tee on temp gauges (that sounds fine for your OP gauge though).

Your call on replacing the ECT. JRichker has a list of thermistor values for the ECT at various temps if you desire testing its calibration.

Good luck.