Taurus fan install(in the process of)

• Sponsors (?)

coolblue65 said:
Thanks for those specs!

i am really thinking about going to the junkyard this weekend and seeing if I can find one of these in good shape, what year/s Taurus is this out of?

The 89-95 Taurus w/the 3.8L will work. Also, the SN95 fan works, but draws a little more juice than the taurus.

Remember the fans will pull more current on start up than while running. Even then, I think the charging system needs to be upgraded, ie alternator and wiring. The 3g alternator or even the 2g should be sufficient.

67Dylan said:
The 89-95 Taurus w/the 3.8L will work. Also, the SN95 fan works, but draws a little more juice than the taurus.

Remember the fans will pull more current on start up than while running. Even then, I think the charging system needs to be upgraded, ie alternator and wiring. The 3g alternator or even the 2g should be sufficient.

I already have an electric fan- its a 17" perma-kool set up with manual switch and a relay. I just think this might be a decent upgrade due to the shrouded design.

coolblue65 said:
Thanks for those specs!

i am really thinking about going to the junkyard this weekend and seeing if I can find one of these in good shape, what year/s Taurus is this out of?
the fan is out of a 94/95, the 92/93 doesnt use a "square" shroud. I didnt feel like pullilng the part off myself, so i got from a dismantler for 75 bucks, but you can buy the new for about $90-110
620210.gif

http://www.autoparts-autoparts.com/ford/taurus-radiators-condensers_25.html

Im installing a Taurus Fan on Mustang also. Im Running a 20" radiator and
I drilled out the holes so it fits in the stock fan shround locations on
the 20" radiator. I also bought a DC Controller to run the fan. Its a
Variable controller that turns on slow and builds up speed as you need it.

Im in the process of wiring the controller. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
I also have the same cooling problems where at idle the temp climbs.

The shrouds do make a big difference. I recently upgraded to aluminum radiator and went with a 16" SPAL puller fan. I located a company who makes custom all aluminum fan shrouds to your spec that are only 1/2" deep (a requirement for me given the space I had to work with). They also installed and welded in fasteners for a SPAL 16" bolt pattern, so the fan mounted nice and clean. I popped for the polished version, but it was still only about $120. The company is:

http://www.coolcraft.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=368&Category=8

Here's a pic of my radiator and fan on the bench:

2161687_59_full.jpg

Since you do a ot of car shows, this might be a better looking option for you. BTW, this setup keeps my 347 nice and cool. I don't have a numeric temp guage, but it no longer climbs anywhere near the hot zone, even when idling still.

well, got my fan wired up and it kicked butt..............for a little while. I heard the armature a little loose before i mounted it but figured it might be ok, well the motor started to get hot and spun slower and slower. But It did keep the car at about 170 around town for a little while. Keep in mind, I have a 100 amp 1 wire alternator and dual batteries and it dropped the volts from 14+ to 12V at idle with the fan on. I let the car idle for about 40 minutes which really pissed off the neighbors and it reached about 190*,but that was partly due to the fan motor going south, but the volts dropped to about 10V, might be from the high resistance of a hot motor. Im taking the motor back tomorrow and replacing it, but i think this might be the fix all minus a 130+amp alternator.

nice job!! .... btw, Ford Muscle web magazine did a feature on this same project awhile back with excellent results .... the article also provided a parts list ... they used a 75 amp relay too .... btw, given the high current draw of the fan, the feed wire should be at least #8 AWG from battery to relay to fan ....

iskwezm said:
well, got my fan wired up and it kicked butt..............for a little while. I heard the armature a little loose before i mounted it but figured it might be ok, well the motor started to get hot and spun slower and slower. But It did keep the car at about 170 around town for a little while. Keep in mind, I have a 100 amp 1 wire alternator and dual batteries and it dropped the volts from 14+ to 12V at idle with the fan on. I let the car idle for about 40 minutes which really pissed off the neighbors and it reached about 190*,but that was partly due to the fan motor going south, but the volts dropped to about 10V, might be from the high resistance of a hot motor. Im taking the motor back tomorrow and replacing it, but i think this might be the fix all minus a 130+amp alternator.

That's good news! Once the motor is replaced, it'll be better news :D

Once the new fan is on, check battery voltage at idle and when the fan is on. You might be borderline on the 3g alternator upgrade. When a fan goes like yours did/doing it takes voltage and current to do it, so you might not be that bad off.

jcode, that fan set up looks really nice :hail2: . I have a friend that had one just like it made for his Mark VIII, and he raves about it.

well, fan replaced, but i had to modify another shroud since they gave me another assembly. I let the car reach about 210* in my driveway and turned the fan on,brought it down to about 165* in a few minutes, other then it really sucking the power from batteries, it works as good as good can be.Voltage at idle is 14+,fan on is 12.4 then slowly drops top about 10.5 with 100 amp alt. and dual batteries

iskwezm said:
.Voltage at idle is 14+,fan on is 12.4 then slowly drops top about 10.5 with 100 amp alt. and dual batteries

Yeah, those taurus fans use the same motor as the Mark VIII, the fan blade pitch differniates the 'sucking' power of the two. I was hoping you wouldn't have to upgrade alts. That's the bad news... good news is it'll never overheat again :D There are many ford vehicles that came stock w/a 3g; LMK if you want a list of them. Tho I don't know which one will fit your motor set up; mounting tabs and such, but it might be of some help to you.

67Dylan said:
Yeah, those taurus fans use the same motor as the Mark VIII, the fan blade pitch differniates the 'sucking' power of the two. I was hoping you wouldn't have to upgrade alts. That's the bad news... good news is it'll never overheat again :D There are many ford vehicles that came stock w/a 3g; LMK if you want a list of them. Tho I don't know which one will fit your motor set up; mounting tabs and such, but it might be of some help to you.
sure you got a list????:D

My problem is i already have a 1 wire 100 amp,that has a bigger case and at its tighest position,it butts up against the supercharger,so it looks like im gonna have to make some brackets and break the welder out

The fan and alt solution is simple, 94-95 taurus. The taurus alt is one of the best ford has to offer and fits just about any engine combo and looks great. There is also a 130amp alt off the 3.0 taurus that will also work and is smaller than any other alt of the same rating. The only bad thing about the taurus or sn95 fans are all the recalls for them burning up. but once you get the good fan cooling problems solved. Heavy guage wiring is a must especially for the grounds, 10 guage isnt gonna cut it. the charge back wire from the alt should be 4-6 guage, battery cables atleast 2 guage or 0 if you have trunk relocated batt, and fan wiring 6-8 guage with solid connectons and ground.

fastback brian said:
The fan and alt solution is simple, 94-95 taurus. The taurus alt is one of the best ford has to offer and fits just about any engine combo and looks great. There is also a 130amp alt off the 3.0 taurus that will also work and is smaller than any other alt of the same rating. The only bad thing about the taurus or sn95 fans are all the recalls for them burning up. but once you get the good fan cooling problems solved. Heavy guage wiring is a must especially for the grounds, 10 guage isnt gonna cut it. the charge back wire from the alt should be 4-6 guage, battery cables atleast 2 guage or 0 if you have trunk relocated batt, and fan wiring 6-8 guage with solid connectons and ground.

Thanks, that is great advice to pass on. Correct wiring size is required.

Vinyl66 said:
Very nice install and great looking engine compartment:nice:

The Taurus fan will pull some major air. I have one on my Jeep Wrangler and have it connected to a 30A relay. It is wired on low speed only for this reason and cools my Jeep perfectly fine. I would still like to get a bigger relay for it to use high speed if I ever need to. Where do you guys get a 75 Amp relay? Because no auto parts store around he carries them.

you may want to check Ron Francis Wiring or Painless, they would have what you probably need. I doubt if you need to go to 75 Amps however

truck90278 said:
you may want to check Ron Francis Wiring or Painless, they would have what you probably need. I doubt if you need to go to 75 Amps however

The Taurus and Mark VIII fan share the same exact fan motor: ~100A on start up & ~ 30A continuous on low and a little more on high-speed. The DC Control would be a better choice since it uses PWM to control start up current spike and uses temp probs that can be tailored to the users desired on/off points. W/that, there is no need for a 75A relay. I've only seen one other company that uses something similar to the DC Control and nobody else. PWM is about the only way to control that huge 100A draw, w/in reason of course.