The Truth about FOX FRONT BRAKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

RydeOn said:
Didnt waste my time reading all the bickering but... Those that say slotted or cross drilled rotors dont work better on the street obviously havent driven that many cars. All the ones Ive used I noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. They are not cosmetic upgrades, they actually do work, quite well.

If you put ANY new rotor on a car, you will notice a difference. Over time, people tend to glaze the rotors and performance decreases. Slap a brand new set of rotors and pads on your car and what a difference.

god dammit..this sucks...i wanted to a budget brake upgrade..but it doesnt seem to be working with having to upgrade the MC now....which one do i need to buy...how much are they

Ok, I have a question....I ran the calculations and IF the pads redistribute load due to less surface contact, in theory your frictional force would be greater. This is assuming that when you decrease the surface area your normal force on the rotor increases. But if the brake pad does not redistribute the load it wont matter. So my question is do brake pads redistribute loading???

im still gonna stick with the fact that drilled slotted rotors are made that way so that gases can escape from underneath the pad more easily. go look at the baer website....thats what they say. and yes it does help to cool the brakes better because there is more surface area for the heat to escape from.

Mustang5L5 said:
If you put ANY new rotor on a car, you will notice a difference. Over time, people tend to glaze the rotors and performance decreases. Slap a brand new set of rotors and pads on your car and what a difference.
Not true. I have done this back to back alot of times. No flames but u cant really say they dont offer a performance advatage unless youve driven something that has them. Anything performance oriented has them; Porsche, Mercedes, crotch rockets (u name it) hell even my quad sitting in my garage has them. Any vehicle with these on, has better breaking than the same vehicle that dont have them on. I think maybe you all are trying to rationalize not putting an upgrade on your car. But your missing out, seriously.

93 teal terror said:
Ok, I have a question....I ran the calculations and IF the pads redistribute load due to less surface contact, in theory your frictional force would be greater. This is assuming that when you decrease the surface area your normal force on the rotor increases. But if the brake pad does not redistribute the load it wont matter. So my question is do brake pads redistribute loading???

You also gotta remember that you are also decreasing the surface area of the pad appying the force. You are taking area away from both the rotor and the pad since no force can be applied by either body in the areas that are dimpled and slotted. The applied force is the same.

I don't think you can look at this static like a tire resting on the ground. You need to take into account the coefficient of friction which would increase with the larger surface area. Is it enough to equal more stopping power? Eh, i don't feel like getting out my engineering textbooks and figuring it out right now.

Let's just the dumbed down approach. Take a brick. Pit the point of your finger on the top and push down and attempt to drag it. Now do the same with the palm of your hand. It's easier to drag the brick with your palm with even less force.

Too much engineering thinking tonight..i'm going to bed

Mustang5L5 said:
You also gotta remember that you are also decreasing the surface area of the pad appying the force. You are taking area away from both the rotor and the pad since no force can be applied by either body in the areas that are dimpled and slotted. The applied force is the same.

I don't think you can look at this static like a tire resting on the ground. You need to take into account the coefficient of friction which would increase with the larger surface area. Is it enough to equal more stopping power? Eh, i don't feel like getting out my engineering textbooks and figuring it out right now.

Let's just the dumbed down approach. Take a brick. Pit the point of your finger on the top and push down and attempt to drag it. Now do the same with the palm of your hand. It's easier to drag the brick with your palm with even less force.

Too much engineering thinking tonight..i'm going to bed

Yeah this is really bothering me, ive already had the statics and dynamics books out. Im a Civil Engineer and I think your a Mechanical? If so, you guys deal more with things like this where us civil guys mostly deal with static structures and such.

RydeOn said:
Anything performance oriented has them; Porsche, Mercedes, crotch rockets (u name it) hell even my quad sitting in my garage has them. .

Slight difference though. Most of the high end perfomance companies CAST the rotors with the holes and such already in them. This process doesn't weaken the rotor like drilling. Also, their rotors are FAR more massive, so they can afford to lose some mass.

I have driven vehicles with them. I have a pair of buddies with a 2003 Brabus S600 and another with a 2001 Porsche 911 Carrerra 4 both with cast drilled rotors. The stopping power is unbeleivable but the massive size of these rotors is also overwhelming. It makes me wonder what exactly helps more..the holes in the rotor....or the 6-piston calipers?

ATV's quads and dirt bikes usually have holes in the rotor for cleaning dirt and mud away. If you get dirt on your rotor the slots/holes help try to clear some of it away

High end cars have them because they are made to go fast, and they need to put rotors like that on there, Holes vent gases, THATS ALL!!!! the increase braking only when the pads are extremely hot and start to almost burn and gasses are emitted, it's common sense.

Small bikes and such have vented rotors because they are lighters, and chances are you are not going to go fast enough and be on the brakes long enough for them to warp. Some people just can't accept the fact...... :nonono:

If the coeff. of friction increases with surface area, then the slotted/drilled rotors are a mute point. However if the coeff. is constant and the Normal force is constant then yes cross drilling would stop faster. If your sayin that the coeff. of friction increases with surface area, then that makes me feel better and i can go to bed.

93 teal terror said:
Yeah this is really bothering me, ive already had the statics and dynamics books out. Im a Civil Engineer and I think your a Mechanical? If so, you guys deal more with things like this where us civil guys mostly deal with static structures and such.

I'm Mechanical Engineering.

I kinda want to go dig my books out and take a peek as well. I think i can actually picture the chapter where it has this type of situation too. Yeah we sometimes deal with static examples but we also get into dynamics and such as well. I think this one you will need to look at dynamically because the coefficient of friction is gonna be the most important part of the equation in my opinion. I would have to guess at that number anyway.

fox brakes

i've got drilled and slotted rotors, hawk pads, ss bushings, braided brake hoses, stock what are they 60mm calipers new remanufactured, and new fluid and my brakes fade and will not lock up! the rear are stock drums with adjusted shoes about 10,000 miles on shoes with plenty of material. any ideas?????????????? maybe bad master or proportioning valve?????? i will take any advice. brakes have sucked since i bought the car. i thought by putting all new parts it would get better. wtf could be wrong?????????????????????
thanks jason 89 gt

93 teal terror said:
If the coeff. of friction increases with surface area, then the slotted/drilled rotors are a mute point. However if the coeff. is constant and the Normal force is constant then yes cross drilling would stop faster. If your sayin that the coeff. of friction increases with surface area, then that makes me feel better and i can go to bed.

haha...i don't know. I am confusing myself. Now I want to say that the coeff of fric. will remain constant and the are of contact will be the variable. However i am starting to second guess myself and want to run and check out my book. Engineering is all looking stuff up anyway. I'd rather get some numbers or equations or something hard before i get too involved with this if you know what i mean

I'm gonna hold off on an answer til i've had a while to dwell on this for the night. Gonna go whip my dynamics book out and see what i can find out

Mustang5L5 said:
haha...i don't know. I am confusing myself. Now I want to say that the coeff of fric. will remain constant and the are of contact will be the variable. However i am starting to second guess myself and want to run and check out my book. Engineering is all looking stuff up anyway. I'd rather get some numbers or equations or something hard before i get too involved with this if you know what i mean

I'm gonna hold off on an answer til i've had a while to dwell on this for the night. Gonna go whip my dynamics book out and see what i can find out

Yeah i think im more confused now than when i started...me and my ME buddy down the hall spent about an hour in a heated debate about this. Im gonna sleep on it and go talk to the motorsport engineering guys tomorrow

latham83 said:
no one answered my quesiton! what mc do i need with the 73mm calipers...what brand and where can i get it?? how much are they>

bro, no offense but everyone is arguing about a topic in here about performance and your rambling out questions of where, when, how, how much, and what size calipers to get. :shrug: Your the reason this post is like 1000 replies long. go make a post in talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.