Which 8" posi unit should i get?

ballajb64

Jul 13, 2006
California
Ok right now i am in the process of trying to figure out which posi unit i should get for mustang. I have a 8" rear and have noticed it is not a lot for me to choose from. Right now i am trying to figure out the difference between the "ford traction lock trac loc posi unit" and the Powertrax no-slip. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 and also the difference in the installation like what is needed and so on? 8in_posi.jpg Ford traction lock
pwt-92-0776-2805.jpg Powertrax

• Sponsors (?)

Take a look at the Tru Trac as another option...i love mine.

No clutches to wear out, no chatter around turns - and great traction.

The options are out there, but they are not advertised as well, call the individual manufactures and ask them what they got for the Ford 8.

Good luck...

My vote goes for traction lock. Thats what all 3 of our Fords have. I had a locker in my truck for a short time and it was a POS. It was noisy and jerky and after about a year really acted up and would bang etc. My friend had the same thing in his 70 Mustang and had the exact same problems.

fwiw -- I'd vote for the Tru Trac **IF** you can swallow the bigger $$ .... as said by phutch11, no chatter, smooth turns and great traction PLUS very low maintenance .... any clutch-based unit will eventually need R&R .... I've had several of those types in Jeeps and they just don't work over the long haul .... they have clutches and clutches wear .... but unless you're into drag racing, I'd stay away from lockers as they are not so street friendly ....

no to the traction lok.I have a Currie built traction lok and i killed it after a few burnouts at the strip.Now it works whenever it wants to.I shouldve went with a detroit locker, but i sold to a buddy and workd awesome.Cant even hear it or tell it back there.

I think some of your decision should be based on what the car is for. Is it a cruiser or does it go to the track alot?

+1, from me!
It is best practice to, always, buy your parts based on the planned use for your ride. See what happens when you buy a part better suited for the street? This applies to your engine build, as well.
Wasted money, time, energy!
PlaySafe!

My vote goes for traction lock. Thats what all 3 of our Fords have. I had a locker in my truck for a short time and it was a POS. It was noisy and jerky and after about a year really acted up and would bang etc. My friend had the same thing in his 70 Mustang and had the exact same problems.

Wasn't yours the mini locker or whatever its called? A true detroit locker will not fail and operate like that. Two of our cars have them, and you don't even know its back there. Those minis are junk, there is a reason why that junk is cheaper.

posi

Ok right now i am in the process of trying to figure out which posi unit i should get for mustang. I have a 8" rear and have noticed it is not a lot for me to choose from. Right now i am trying to figure out the difference between the "ford traction lock trac loc posi unit" and the Powertrax no-slip. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 and also the difference in the installation like what is needed and so on? 8in_posi.jpg Ford traction lock
pwt-92-0776-2805.jpg Powertrax

Give Tim @ Just Rear End's Ford 8 and 9 Inch Posi's, Housings, Axles a call he's got some good input.

Wasn't yours the mini locker or whatever its called? A true detroit locker will not fail and operate like that. Two of our cars have them, and you don't even know its back there. Those minis are junk, there is a reason why that junk is cheaper.

I believe it was the EZ locker. What a POS. Your porbably right that the true lockers are better. I have driven vehicles that had different types and I still do not like lockers for cars that are driven alot. Sometimes you can feel them back there. I think the clutch type limited slip units are better for street cars that don't go to the track that often. The smooth operation of the traction lock is much nicer. I also like Auburn.