351 Cleveland swapped MII

Heres a picture of that work in progress. I have more pictures somewhere but can’t find them right now. In this picture I was putting in the frame rails and was planning to save as much factory sheet metal as possible. But plans changed as soon as I decided to go the fuel cell route. Then everything got cut out.
Wow! So much work. This car is going to be impressive.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thank you. I hope so. The short story is I built a model of a Mustang II way back when I was in grade school. I custom built it out of parts from three different model car kits. Ever since then. It’s been my goal to build a real version of that model car. I’ve had this vision for the past 40 years. This cars build has been solely based on that model car I built so many years ago.

I have zero plans to make this a race car. More of a nice street car that has some of the race car appearance. But because I’m trying to replicate that model car, that’s what mandated the custom wheel tubs and frame rails. My ultimate goal is for it to still have good road manners even with all the race stuff.

I used a lot of sound deadening material on this car. Even the roof has sound deadening matting on it. That should make this car feel and sound very solid.

• Winner
Inspection plate is done. Now just waiting for the manual steering rack.
IMG_1017.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Got the new manual steering rack. The one from Rockauto is a 4 turn lock to lock just in case anyone else is interested in getting one from them. It will most likely be after the Thanksgiving holiday before I can get this installed. We have a pretty big family shindig and all.
IMG_1067.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
I also bought a Holley Blue electric fuel pump with regulator. I’ll be installing that as well. I’m nervous about running it deadheaded though. The regulator that came with it is a deadhead regulator as far as I can tell. So I’m seriously considering getting a different regulator and running a hard line return to the fuel cell. Anyone on here running a Holley blue deadheaded for street use?

Reactions: 1 user
Got the power steering converted over to manual steering.

Before.
IMG_0983.jpeg

After
IMG_1098.jpeg

It cleaned up the engine bay by eliminating all the excess hoses. Also gave me a couple more inches of clearance. Which is really important for header fitment. The steering feels really good. I won’t have any issues with this being difficult to turn like I was originally worried about. I highly recommend this conversion for anyone who needs more space to r just wants to get rid of the leak probed power steering system. .

• Hell Yeah!
Got the power steering converted over to manual steering.

Before.
IMG_0983.jpeg

After
IMG_1098.jpeg

It cleaned up the engine bay by eliminating all the excess hoses. Also gave me a couple more inches of clearance. Which is really important for header fitment. The steering feels really good. I won’t have any issues with this being difficult to turn like I was originally worried about. I highly recommend this conversion for anyone who needs more space to r just wants to get rid of the leak probed power steering system. .
A question, it looks like your heater core nipples extend through the firewall. On mine, it looks like the hoses go through the firewall with no clamps visible. So yes most of my hose is factory original and that worries me a little. I wonder why there is a difference?

H Hoses 2.jpg

I think that's the difference between AC and non-AC HVAC boxes. :shrug:

As you can see, @Blackhawkxx has his blower motor sticking out into the engine bay, same as mine, so we don't have the AC connections as you do in your car. I had to run my hoses through the firewall too - which kinda sucks.

• Informative
The AC versus non AC may be the difference. My 1976 Cobra has the hoses going through the firewall.
IMG_1109.jpeg

My Cobra has the factory heater core delete option lol. But you can see the hoses did go through the firewall. It is a non AC car. My 78 is a factory AC car. Which I unfortunately won’t be using. But it’s there.

My Cobra has the factory heater core delete option lol. But you can see the hoses did go through the firewall. It is a non AC car. My 78 is a factory AC car. Which I unfortunately won’t be using. But it’s there.

That's what I thought when I still lived in Iowa and the reason my car now has no AC. I went through the trouble of removing everything AC related - now I wish I had it.... :bang:

If you decide to lose it all, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands! I've been toying with the idea of finding a parts car with AC just to swap what I'd need - most specifically the air box and AC control switches. I figure once I have all of that it'd be pretty easy to retrofit a different compressor and run new lines.....

If you decide to lose it all, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands!
I realize an AC delete is probably one of those most regrettable mods people do to their cars. Especially since my end goal is to be back in Texas in about 5 years. But unfortunately, the mods on this car have gone far beyond ever going back to factory AC. The only way I would ever do that is to return the car to a stock motor for daily driver duties. I’d just buy myself another cobra II before doing that.

I will not be using any of the factory AC stuff on this car. If you decide to try to go back to AC, I’m sure we can work something out.

Here’s how she currently looks.
If I could ask, what size and brand of front tires do you have? I have BFG T/A Radials 155-80R-15 that are 24" tall on 4" wheels and they seem like there is too much weight on them even though I slightly over inflate. You now have a heavier engine than me and your tires don't look that way.

• Informative