5.0 serges after it warms up

hairymetal

Jul 26, 2006
I have a problem with my 88 gt.When the car is cold it drives fine but after parking the car and then going out for a drive again the engine surges below 2,000 rpms.It seems to happen on hot days.It feels like vapour lock on old carburated cars.I put in a new fuel pump and filter and o2 sensors but it didnt solve the problem.Has anyone experienced this problem before?Anyone have any cures?The car is speed density,5 spd,off road pipes with flowmasters and headers.car has 100,000 miles on it...

• Sponsors (?)

See Daggar's Technical thread index at the top of this sub-forum. Inside is Jrichker's surging checklist.

In my experience, SD stangs are very susceptible to the surging (and it's hard to get rid of).

Good luck.

thanks for your resposes but maybe I didnt explain myself right.When I am driving the car on the highway at 1800 rpms in 4rth gear when the engine is hot the engine cuts out then comes back on.It jerks around.I end up shifting into 3rd gear and drive at 2800 rpm the problem goes away.I have had the car since new and it used to do it once or twice a year when the temperature outside was over 90 degrees.Nowdays it happens more often.Mostly when the engine soaks up heat.I was thinking maybe some component or fuel rail was getting hot and when I drove at a higher rpm fuel pressure would increase and cure the problem.The idle is fine on the car and always has been.

when was the last tuneup...that would be the first step if its due for one..plugs and wires break down with heat ect...fuel filter clogged bad dist.cap,rotor if its due to be changed replace it and rule it out of the equasion and it may also clear it up.