94-04 calipers on 67-68

67rcks

Feb 20, 2008
Has anybody done this conversion? I have someone with CNC who can manufacture brackets for me. I am looking for plans for front and rear, anyone can help? A design completely made of 3/8-1/2" steel plate would be preferred (as caliper is too wide for 67-68 spindle and caliper mounting points on the bracket has to be shifted inwards about 1")

• Sponsors (?)

For front brakes I wouldn't bother with the upgrade unless you go to the Cobra or Cobra R brakes. The Cobra style are fairly affordable, the R's are somewhat expensive but they are sweet.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

In all honesty, the rears suck. They are jack screw calipers. The good thing about Mustang Steve's kit is that he uses the larger Cobra rear rotors instead of the standard GT rotor. It is the same caliper and factory bracket, just different pads/rotors. I like setups that have a disc rear with a drum parking brake. IMO you should try something different unless you want to try puting ABS in or something.

For front brakes I wouldn't bother with the upgrade unless you go to the Cobra or Cobra R brakes. The Cobra style are fairly affordable, the R's are somewhat expensive but they are sweet.

In all honesty, the rears suck. They are jack screw calipers. The good thing about Mustang Steve's kit is that he uses the larger Cobra rear rotors instead of the standard GT rotor. It is the same caliper and factory bracket, just different pads/rotors. I like setups that have a disc rear with a drum parking brake. IMO you should try something different unless you want to try puting ABS in or something.

Mustang Steve also now has a kit to use 05-up front brakes on drum spindles now as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Must...ryZ34199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Man not mustangsteve, I am looking for plans for non-cobra brackets. Not that I do not like cobra brakes, but I have whole braking system from gt and want to use that one. And also I want definitely steel not alluminium brackets, no matter if some web site is saying that alloy is firm enough. Any help? Someone has done this conversion?

The bracket that mounts SN95 front brakes is the same for the GT/Cobra/Cobra R brakes, a bracket that fits one will fit them all. I can't remember where I saw another conversion bracket but I definately have.... maybe it was vintage venom ?

check www.dazecars.com he's made a set of 3/8, i believe, caliper brackets for the sn-95 v6/GT calipers on the stock 65-70 drum brake spindle. don't think the regular v6/gt caliper will work with the vintage venom or mustangsteve brackets since they were designed for the 13" brakes. i'm not aware of anyone who makes a bracket or any other kit to use the whole setup from the gt though, just the calipers using original early model rotors.

www.ultrastang.com has the brackets for the rear brakes. vintage venom has only brackets for the cobra rear brakes.

The same bracket will work for both, the mounting locations are exactly the same, the only difference is the bracket that comes with the caliper spaces them to the correct height for the rotor.

yeah but the MS, brackets also space the caliper out to work with the shorter hub of the late model rotors. MS says his brackets won't work with the v6/GT rotors and calipers.

That makes no sense to me what so ever. As long as the same hubs are used it should be able to mount all 3 different setups. The only thing the bracket does is locate the stock parts, as far as I know there is no other intermediate bracket. If it mounts one it should mount them all because they all use the same hubs and mount to the same spot on the stock SN95 spindle. If one is located properly then they should all be located properly. Maybe I'm missing something but thats what my logic tells me.

That makes no sense to me what so ever. As long as the same hubs are used it should be able to mount all 3 different setups. The only thing the bracket does is locate the stock parts, as far as I know there is no other intermediate bracket. If it mounts one it should mount them all because they all use the same hubs and mount to the same spot on the stock SN95 spindle. If one is located properly then they should all be located properly. Maybe I'm missing something but thats what my logic tells me.[/Q/]

I'm pretty sure the MS kit and I know the Ventage Venom kit uses the Vintage Drum brake spindles and hubs.

That makes no sense to me what so ever. As long as the same hubs are used it should be able to mount all 3 different setups. The only thing the bracket does is locate the stock parts, as far as I know there is no other intermediate bracket. If it mounts one it should mount them all because they all use the same hubs and mount to the same spot on the stock SN95 spindle. If one is located properly then they should all be located properly. Maybe I'm missing something but thats what my logic tells me.

i don't know either but according to steve his kit won't work with the v6/gt brakes

Just a guess...

The caliper mounting bracket places the caliper out from the centerline. On MS's kit it is spaced to work on a 13" Cobra rotor, the stock GT/V6 rotor was considerably smaller. Ergo it will not fit the lesser SN95 combos.

FRPP sells a 94-04 Caliper bracket kit to correctly mount Cobra/Bullitt rear calipers on GTs and V6s. There is no front bracket kit however, they bolt to the same points on the spindle.

I would therefore assume that Mustang Steve's brackets will work with GT calipers on the front, but not the rear. :shrug:

FRPP sells a 94-04 Caliper bracket kit to correctly mount Cobra/Bullitt rear calipers on GTs and V6s. There is no front bracket kit however, they bolt to the same points on the spindle.

I would therefore assume that Mustang Steve's brackets will work with GT calipers on the front, but not the rear. :shrug:

Thank you for the love of God. Someone with enough gray matter in their head to understand what I've been saying.

Everyone I am looking for BLUEPRINTS, not for brackets from a commercial seller. Anyone can help?

Sorry but I really doubt that anyone has a set of blue prints or diagrams for this. If you are determined to find them come hell or high water you might actually find them by asking enough people.

I am in the process of building a spindle jig or prototyping stand... well having one built by a friend really. My design, his welding. It will allow me to hold the spindle in an upright possition so that I can test fit a hub/rotor combo/custom caliper bracket. I'm going to use plate steel, something thin to start with like 1/4" so it cuts easy. I'll either have something CNCed or use much thicker steel for the final product. I can take pictures of the stand once it is done. Do you know how to weld ? You could make your own prototyping stand and build it with the hub you want to use.

Just a guess...

The caliper mounting bracket places the caliper out from the centerline. On MS's kit it is spaced to work on a 13" Cobra rotor, the stock GT/V6 rotor was considerably smaller. Ergo it will not fit the lesser SN95 combos.

well even the stock v6 brakes are better than stock early mustang brakes, they are exactly the same brakes as the GT used too and both had the 2 piston PBR calipers so there is still merit in using them but they have the same size rotor as the early mustangs too, so no benefit there, only the calipers.

Rusty, i understand what you've been trying to say but the point i'm trying to make is that MS may have changed something in the design of his bracket that would no longer allow the smaller rotors and standard calipers to work, i think it may be the way he designed the bracket to work on the drum spindle, there's a big protrusion right smack dab in the middle of the two caliper mounting bolts and that is most likely why they won't work, just a guess.

67rcks, i know of no one that has any blueprints for using the GT brake assemblies on the drum spindles. there used to be some floating around that would adapt the PBR calipers for use on 68-73 and granada disc spindles but there have been better designs since those started floating around. you will probably just have to mock them up and do the prototyping yourself. however, if you looked at the link i gave you to Daze cars website you'll see that he just used a piece of flat stock for the most part, so you should be able to do pretty much the exact same thing

well even the stock v6 brakes are better than stock early mustang brakes, they are exactly the same brakes as the GT used too and both had the 2 piston PBR calipers so there is still merit in using them but they have the same size rotor as the early mustangs too, so no benefit there, only the calipers.

I guess that all comes down to exactly what kind of stock/vintage brakes your classic has. If you have any year of drum then for sure the V6 discs from any SN95 are better. Arguably true if you have the 68-70 single piston discs too. But if you have the 4-piston (Kelsey Hayes?) design I'm gonna say no unless you can increase rotor size. Those designs were awesome, even more so for their day.

I guess that all comes down to exactly what kind of stock/vintage brakes your classic has. If you have any year of drum then for sure the V6 discs from any SN95 are better. Arguably true if you have the 68-70 single piston discs too. But if you have the 4-piston (Kelsey Hayes?) design I'm gonna say no unless you can increase rotor size. Those designs were awesome, even more so for their day.

I will absolutely agree with that.