Absolute best N/A cold air intake for Pro-m

RIXX93GT

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Okay what is the best (not necessarily the prettiest) cold air intake system out there for an N/A 347 with 77mm pro-m and 70mm bbk throttle body? Is fenderwell style better or straight with conical filter? I have the straight old style black plastic pro-m tube with conical filter but it looks to me that it may restrict the flow somewhat at the radius. Let me hear em' !

• Sponsors (?)

I would have to say an AFM Power Pipe with a S&B filter. The plastic elbow is VERY RESTRICTIVE! I have seen an increase of 15RWHP with an EGR eliminator plate and custom gradual bend 4 inch peice of exhaust pipe from a heavy trucking place if you are willing to make your own.

I am in the process of making one out of fiberglass and then carbon fiber right now, that has a much better radius then the plastic elbow. I will post some pictures of it soon.

2nd the AFM Power pipe. How can you go wrong with a 3.5 or 4 inch pipe. I just got one for my 331 but I put it on my 302 for now untill the new motor is built. Man what a difference in the way the car drives.

I bought the 3.5 inch pipe

405745_116_full.jpg

Whatever you put in, remember the thermal implications. For each 10F increase in intake air temp, you get rewarded with a 1% decrease in HP. So, whatever you do, don't hang a conical filter under the hood where it can pick up warmer under-air hood. And, if you choose to use some sort of fabricated metal mandrel bent pieces, insulate them so they don't pick up under hood heat.

Michael Yount said:
Whatever you put in, remember the thermal implications. For each 10F increase in intake air temp, you get rewarded with a 1% decrease in HP. So, whatever you do, don't hang a conical filter under the hood where it can pick up warmer under-air hood. And, if you choose to use some sort of fabricated metal mandrel bent pieces, insulate them so they don't pick up under hood heat.

What would be a good insulator, thermal wrap tape like used on headers and starters? I have some of that already.