Advice on a car I am considering

rmwill

Jun 5, 2011
Folks;

I am new to this forum and have been reading threads trying to gathers some information on a car I am considering. The car is a 1998 GT Convertible with 68,000 miles that has been substantially modified by a passionate Ford engineer/fan. The details:

Supercharged 4.6L V8 (dyno tuned by Livernois Engineering) 320HP before NOS
Scatrod connecting rods. Standard Bore/Stroke. All other parts OEM
Nitrous system (Never Used)
New 5 speed manual transmission (2000 Miles)
New built new engine block and all internals block/pistons (2000 Miles)
Cobra Chromed wheels, Kumho Tires
Side exhaust into ground effects
A pillar SVO gauges, Cobra Bodywork
Suspension F&R has Eibach springs and Koni shocks.
The brakes have slotted rotors on all wheels Fronts have raised letter Cobra calipers.
Rear end was changed from a 350 to a 373..
Has a 5 mounting point chrome strut tower brace.

All work was professionally done and documented with receipts. Everything works, including the AC.

He wants 11,000. He has probably 20K in receipts alone.

The KBB is between 7500 and 8000.

What do you folks think? What should I look out for?

Here are some pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/rmwill/MustangPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCIOmz_ScgdOr8AE&feat=directlink

Thanks!
Rodger

• Sponsors (?)

First off, where is the supercharger?? Second I would be weary of a car with nitrous even if it does have a built motor. You never mentioned what kind of heads and cams are in the car. To me it looks like the car might actually dyno at around 200hp on motor???? Is this what the seller told you?

Thanks.

It is what the seller told me. He does have a dyno report from Livernois that comes with the paperwork, along with the receipts. I am looking at the car tomorrow, and can check the details of what was done. As for the blower, is it missing in the picture?

Rodger

+1,000,000 on the where is the supercharger... the car is not supercharged. you would know if the car was supercharged. I doubt the car makes 320 rwhp.. Seems like the guy doesnt know what he's talking about. If the guy has all of the nitrous stuff (bottle heater, switches, etc) i doubt it wasn't used. Take it for a test drive.. don't think its worth 11,000 either.

Having not seen the car yet, but looking at the photos...

Below the alternator to the left, the unit looks alot like the pully and drive on my old SVT Lightning blower. If not, what is it?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Its a Ford Motorsports OEM supercharger kit. When asked, the owner produced the cover page of the installation guide and sent a marked up picture of the motor.

Are the Ford MS OEM blowers any good?

I see the blower snout now. That car is in desperate need of a PI swap. 320rwhp out of a blown V8 mustang is a shame. How much boost i it running?

Personally, I think $11K is outrageous for a 13 year-old non-PI 2V with only 320rwhp.

+1,000,000 on the where is the supercharger... the car is not supercharged. you would know if the car was supercharged. I doubt the car makes 320 rwhp.. Seems like the guy doesnt know what he's talking about. If the guy has all of the nitrous stuff (bottle heater, switches, etc) i doubt it wasn't used. Take it for a test drive.. don't think its worth 11,000 either.

New to mod motors?

The car has an SVO blower on it. Same blower I had many years ago(not for long, but that is another story). Will(sneaky) runs this blower now. It's an old M90 Eaton. Doesn't make a lot of power, but it basically an install and forget about it blower. Very, very reliable compared to centris.

Anybody that has nitrous hooked up to a car and says that haven't sprayed it is full of chit. If it is in clean condition and that is what you want, 9 would be a fair price IMO.

The story on the NOS is that it was installed late last year and was verified to function properly, but the car was never tuned to take full advantage of it. I will look at he receipts today.

Thanks!

Newbie question: What is a PI swap?

Beginning with the 1999+ new edge mustangs Ford used new cylinder heads, camshafts, and intake manifolds (along with minor other tweaks) on the 2V SOHC motors. These new parts were called PI or "power improved" parts. This is why the 1999-04 GT's make so much more power than the 96-98 GT's with essentially the same motor.

A PI swap is relatively cheap and pretty common mod for guys with 96-98 GT's.

New to mod motors?

The car has an SVO blower on it. Same blower I had many years ago(not for long, but that is another story). Will(sneaky) runs this blower now. It's an old M90 Eaton. Doesn't make a lot of power, but it basically an install and forget about it blower. Very, very reliable compared to centris.

Anybody that has nitrous hooked up to a car and says that haven't sprayed it is full of chit. If it is in clean condition and that is what you want, 9 would be a fair price IMO.

ouch.

I saw and drove the car today. Most of the work was done in the early 2000's and the car driven very little since. The amount of money that the owner has spent is staggering.

The car started and drove fine. The gears shifted well. The suspension seemed tight, and everything worked, including the AC.

The bad. Rear tire cracking, a slight amount of possible oil smoke when first started (owner attributed to sitting), and general age of the work done. Make no mistake, this car has the best of everything circa 2001.

What would a fair offer be? Thanks!

I saw and drove the car today. Most of the work was done in the early 2000's and the car driven very little since. The amount of money that the owner has spent is staggering.

The car started and drove fine. The gears shifted well. The suspension seemed tight, and everything worked, including the AC.

The bad. Rear tire cracking, a slight amount of possible oil smoke when first started (owner attributed to sitting), and general age of the work done. Make no mistake, this car has the best of everything circa 2001.

What would a fair offer be? Thanks!

Start at 7500 and work your way up. I'd get that smoke thing checked out. Look at it again, and see if if smokes again.

The thing about adding mods to a vehicle is it doesn't generally ADD anything to the value of the car. I would offer him around 1k more than the blue book of the car to see what he thinks.

The car has a new motor and a supercharger (that isn't ran very often anymore) but it is still a 13+ years old :shrug: It's worth whatever you are willing to spend really.

I'm in the market for an older Mustang and I check CL every few days to see what's changed. (OK, that's a lie---I check every day.) I've been at this since last fall and it's amazing how long some of these cars go without moving because guys will sit on them forever because, "I have X-thousands invested." The cars never sell. They honestly think their cars are worth more than they are.

There was a super-nice '92 SSP advertised a few months back that I had my eye on, but not for the $8500 the guy had it listed for. Same story. The car sat for weeks until suddenly he lowered it to $6500. I couldn't pick up the phone fast enough, but when I got through the guy said the new owner drove off with it a few hours earlier. I guess I need to check twice a day. Long story short; if you don't get to buy this car for the price you want, another one will come along if you're patient.