Cadillac ATS Brembo calipers

• Sponsors (?)

Played with it a bit more last night.

The Caliper is clearanced enough to bolt up fine once the inserts are remade for the offset. You can see the m12 bolt here. I have both bolts in the Caliper. It's tight, but it fits
IMG_5547.JPG

With the other Caliper, you can actually thread the m12 bolt in and with the offset it's able to be snugged. Caliper actually fits damn well. I'm surprised.
IMG_5560.JPG

Pad comes fairly close to edge of rotor on bottom edge. You can see how the curve is slightly different. These calipers work with 12.5" rotors.

IMG_5552.JPG

On the top side, different story. Looks like there's a 5mm overhang.

IMG_5557.JPG

Not much room to go larger on rotor without striking the body. I need about a 5mm larger rotor. Even then might be some pad overhang

IMG_5559.JPG

I think I have enough info to start machining my inserts.

I'd also like to thank my wife for going out of town for a few nights so I can do stuff like this

IMG_5563.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Whipped this up during lunch in 10 mins.

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

I did model it up in CAD and it should work fine. Cross section of the spindle on top. Black is the aluminum Caliper body and the insert bushing on the bottom with the offset and m12 threading. As you can see...it aligns nicely.
IMG_5573.JPG

Now to get 4 made. Might take me a few weeks

By comparison, stock bushings with m14 hole. You can see how it's off a bit and how you'd have to clearance the sn95 spindle to fit it.

IMG_5572.JPG

Btw...pics of my $100 Caliper pair. I'll refinish them in traditional Brembo red and white decal when done

IMG_5561.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
WOW!!!!!

I hope to be able to do 1/4 of what you just did in 10 minutes. I was just happy to extrude an image onto a plane to build a custom intake cover

I do it all day long for components that are far more complex. That insert is pretty dang easy by comparison.

Thats what I figured based on the "toys" you have at your disposal to play with. My Dad is the same way being a Design Engineer, so the things that I bring to him a super easy.

You are doing fantastic work in my eyes, and are looking forward to seeing the inserts for the calipers.

You are doing fantastic work in my eyes, and are looking forward to seeing the inserts for the calipers.

I'm all set to machine them up, but that may take some time. I have access to our full CNC shop, but unfortunately it needs to be done on my own personal time for things like this. That means going on a Sunday AM. Since I don't have many opportunities at the moment due to trying to squeeze in family activities in the last remaining weeks of summer here in the northeast, it might be a while.

My company also employs an excellent machinist. I can see if he is slow right now as he'd do it for me as well...

I think its great to think out of the box like this. How much braking improvement are these calipers on the same size cobra rotors though? I think one of the biggest reasons I upgraded to the 13.1" rotors/calipers was the size. So what type of driving dictates these to see a noticeable difference?

I think its great to think out of the box like this. How much braking improvement are these calipers on the same size cobra rotors though? I think one of the biggest reasons I upgraded to the 13.1" rotors/calipers was the size. So what type of driving dictates these to see a noticeable difference?

More pad surface area, which translates to more even heat distribution during hard braking. If you notice the Cobra calipers really only grab the outer 2" or so. These sweep down much further. In hand, the pads are actually quite massive. They really do cover the entire surface of the rotor face and then some.

You also have 4 pistons to spread the clamping force out over the entire surface. This should improve modulation under hard braking.

What sort of driving need these? Prob won't notice a difference unless you are road racing. I'll be the first to admit at this point, it's purely a looks thing for me, as well as an exercise to "see if it could be done".

Reactions: 1 users
Some more experimentation.

Press the lugs out of a junk hub I had. Test for up the corvette 13.4" rotor. It's actually pretty damn close to fitting. Tough to say for sure until I get the Caliper fully bolted on.

IMG_5643.JPG

Need to verify the rotor is fully seated on the hub. It's the right size to slip on, but might be some rust preventing it from going all the way down. But...it's close.

Appears to barely clear the rotor channel and the pad appears to to cover the entire rotor on the top

IMG_5642.JPG

However, now the bottom of the pad hangs over.

IMG_5647.JPG

Anyway, I can't do much until I machine the bushings and have the Caliper fully secure. Perhaps there's another corvette casting that has more rotor face.

• Loved It!
Whipped this up during lunch in 10 mins.

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

I did model it up in CAD and it should work fine. Cross section of the spindle on top. Black is the aluminum Caliper body and the insert bushing on the bottom with the offset and m12 threading. As you can see...it aligns nicely.
IMG_5573.JPG

Now to get 4 made. Might take me a few weeks
See I find it always humbling coming to your threads. Seems we do similar work except you have better software....SolidEdge is less user friendly to me then SolidWorks, Autodesk, and ProE.

Do have access to a 5 axis CNC?

Do have access to a 5 axis CNC?

Unfortunately no, not a 5 axis. We have some smaller lathes and mills for simple prototyping but I have vendors that can make almost anything for me. Not cheaply though.

I might have one make the inserts for me. I have shops always trying to get my business and offering to make a sample for me. Maybe I'll send them these

Once you get it all tightened to your satisfaction, how difficult would it be to grind, cut, or chisel, the extra 5mm of pad (if it's still an issue after being all bolted up)?

Curious why not use the 12.6 rotors? If the cobra calipers don't grab the full surface area on a 13" rotor, but the ATS do on a 12.6 then you may have more real contact area.

Caliper is too far from center of rotation. My Ford Taurus uses a 12.6 rotor. I tested it and it's not even close.

You'd need to find a way to relocate the Caliper inwards about 1/2" or so.