dyno session, what a reality check lol

Remember the old addage: "302 parts make 302 power." If you want to make more power to the 357's peak potential, you're going to have to step up your combo in all regards, I think. Your engine is asthmatic. The alphabet cam and GT40 heads are choking it to death.

• Sponsors (?)

I read your parts list before seeing the dyno #s, I guessed 280hp 325tq,so I was pretty close. cam is your weak point, put in a big cam, hp could go to 320 at 6,000rpm, torque drop to 320 at 4,500.

Remember the old addage: "302 parts make 302 power." If you want to make more power to the 357's peak potential, you're going to have to step up your combo in all regards, I think. Your engine is asthmatic. The alphabet cam and GT40 heads are choking it to death.

gaahhh...beat me to it! nothing more true....personally, i'd ditch the intake, heads, and cam for something more suitable for a 357. not to add salt to an open wound, but my car with factory e7's made only 8hp less than you....

all make great points, and you're right...couple of you replied to previous posts and said the same thing...302 parts make 302 power and that makes perfect sense to me. I never pulled the trigger on a h/c/i package I was scoping out this winter and now I am highly considering warming my credit card up haha.

You know whats cool? My stang has been on the back burner for YEARS and yesterday's dyno day with 20+ rad stangs......it re-lit the fire, always does:nice:

ummmm can I have TFS high ports
Ed Curtis cam
Super Vic EFI?
I wish haha
Peace!

Yea, your top end is just way too small.

Honestly, I think that with a better breathing top end and a tune, you'll gain everywhere. I think that not only will you see a LOT more HP, but you'll also see more torque. You're just not filling the cylinders with air. That whole top end has to go, though.

Well you are using a cam thats designed for a 302 that is out of date technology wise and an intake that is also way to small for the size of the motor, i'd say the heads are too small too but you should be able to make decent power with those. the fact that it only makes power to 4700 says it all.

Re-think the combo and make use of what you can but get rid of the parts that were designed for 50 less cubic inches with technology thats 20 years old. I dont think that alphabet cams are bad, they are great on a budget, but they have their place

:flag:

Yeah i agree that intake isnt the best. I was running the same hci on my blown 306 minus the cam. Another guy same set up with a set of eddlebrocks and a trickflow upper and lower made more then 50 hp over mine. And he had less fuel.