Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

So i got tired of looking at the out of stock on the fuel rails i wanted... I also decided it was best to buy a rail that was actually meant for my application. I bought the BBK fuel rails, they use pushlock fittings and hose but that is no issue really, I will save a ton of money being able to use a stock type regulator [kirban] i already have. I will also use the factory hardlines to feed the rails for now. Economically this makes the most sense right now, i just had to shell out a bunch of money buying supplies to fix my leaking roof.:( I got the leak fixed just in time to stop some serious damage from the tropical storm that just passed by, still have some pretty major damage to fix from a long term leak i didnt notice until it was too late... Ah the joys of home-ownership.:rolleyes:
obligatory picture.
bbk-5010_ey_ml.jpg

not sure how blue is gonna mesh with the color scheme but sometimes concessions must be made.

• Sponsors (?)

So i got tired of looking at the out of stock on the fuel rails i wanted... I also decided it was best to buy a rail that was actually meant for my application. I bought the BBK fuel rails, they use pushlock fittings and hose but that is no issue really, I will save a ton of money being able to use a stock type regulator [kirban] i already have. I will also use the factory hardlines to feed the rails for now. Economically this makes the most sense right now, i just had to shell out a bunch of money buying supplies to fix my leaking roof.:( I got the leak fixed just in time to stop some serious damage from the tropical storm that just passed by, still have some pretty major damage to fix from a long term leak i didnt notice until it was too late... Ah the joys of home-ownership.:rolleyes:
obligatory picture.
bbk-5010_ey_ml.jpg

not sure how blue is gonna mesh with the color scheme but sometimes concessions must be made.
Glad you were able to get the roof fixed in the nick of time! I was up in Tampa on Sunday and haven't seen rain that hard in a while! :eek:

I have those rails and feel the same about the blue color. It looks like some guys have had luck stripping the anodized coating off using brake clean, oven cleaner, or a cleaner with lye like draino. I don't have any other blue on my engine so if I could do it again I would have tried to strip it down to the aluminum...

Since you're a pro I know you'll already do this, but make sure you prime the fuel pump once you get the rails and lines installed. I skipped that (because why would a new part not just work? lol) and put the upper intake and everything back together to find I had a defective passenger side rail that leaked at the regulator plate no matter what I did. BBK handled the replacement but it took about a week of back and forth with them to finally get the replacement rail.

Not much to report, I worked on my roof it sucked. The sun is brutal working on a metal roof.
I painted things... and halfassed bolted them to the engine to take measurements.. I am planning a fabricated passenger side bracket to hold a tensioner that came off of something.... I got it when made that half baked bracket for the m90..... Anyway there will be another idle pulley as well, the alternator will act as a manual tensioner. :neat:

Let's see if I can make something that does not look like a kindergartner dreamed it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Well the fuel rails never showed up... that was a bummer, I did not let that stop me from getting something done. Since i need the fuel rails to work on the Inlet i moved on to building the bracket... such is life.

I was only able to get the bracket roughed in and mounted securely, it is in the correct plane measured from the crank pulley and verified with an angle finder..... I am pleased so far.

I did turn the alternator back to the up position, things fit better this way and it created symmetry.
20180530_213337.jpg

In this picture It looks like a random piece of aluminum bolted to the engine.

20180530_223521.jpg

You see the basic idea in this picture. The idler pulley will serve to create more belt wrap on the blower and AC compressor.

20180530_223606.jpg

Both of these items still need to be mounted, I ran out of time tonight.... After the first bracket fiasco i am going with a measure twice cut once approach. If anyone was wondering that is a 1/2 thick piece of 6061 aluminum i am using ... It is 4 times thicker than the last bracket and will be securely fastened in 4 locations. The stud i am using on the alternator will not remain there i have a bolt that will [hopefully] flush mount. The big concern now is making sure the belt will not ride on any edges. lining pulleys up is soooo much easier on the engine stand.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure what type of threading they used on these rails, they do not seal with a teflon gasket so I assume they are tapped in NPT. I will need to do a bit of googling I wish I had known the driver side rail was capped with an o ring plug I dont understand why it was not tapped and a plug supplied....

Last edited: