Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Alright I have ice cold AC!

For about an hour... then it did not work after I left the store.... when I got home I poked around some, what do ya think I found?

A leak at one of the new connections? A line installed wrong? Nope...

I left it up to the asshat tech to install the Schrader valves and conversion fittings, easy job right? He had never seen them before.... ok so do it anyway dude.... then he tells me he can't set the cycling switch because he can't hook a scanner up to the ECU .... ah what? When the :leghump: did obd1 get live feedback from the sensors on a datastream? He insisted he was right, I let him try to find the scanner port.
I then explained how a basic pressure switch worked, may as well have been talking to tree.
He never tightened/messed up the new r134a conversion fittings and Schrader valves..... something told me to do this myself.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Don't get mad Steve. Techs these days do not know how to work on older cars that's that can't plug in a scanner to tell them what is wrong. Cars these days tell what is the issue so the days of diagnostic is over which is sad for us.

I just hope they fix it for free for you hassle free as well. I hope it makes you feel better I had it get my tires re balanced 3 times for them to get them right. I mean how do you mess that up.

Hopefully it was one of those good local beers :cheers:

This came in today.
20180904_221918.jpg
20180904_221901.jpg

It's pretty....

Now I need a colder set of plugs before I can go install it... my maths say 12psi we shall see.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
It's pretty....
Wow it sure is! Very nice Steve, can't wait to see what she pulls once you get it installed and plugs swapped :burnout:

That SUCKS about your AC man, I can't believe how bad most people are at their jobs these days and the fact that he argued with you about the ECU controlling the AC is friggen HILARIOUS! No... Just no... :gtfo:

If they don't make it right and you decide to tackle it yourself instead let me know and you can borrow my manifold gauges and vacuum pump.

That ac cap wil hold a little pressure if the Schrader valve is leaking. You can charge it yourself with a tall van of AC Pro... or any other can with the hose and gauge connected.

My ranger, van, and mustang have all been charged with part store cans. They weren't vacuumed down either. They work.

Im a master mechanic and I think you are overthinking this AC thing. Sure, the shop you went to should fix it. ( no doubt about that ). The AC system isn't really complicated to work on yourself. My mustang is still using the stock compressor from my 89 and my van still uses its stock 88 compressor. I did use a retrofit kit with esther oil when I changed them over to r134a but since then they've been charged several times with cans. No issues.... other than me not tightening a line all the way on the mustang.

Most mechanics nowadays are incompetent. Ive been in this business for over 20 years. There's no way these guys would've survived 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with you Scott, I really should have done it myself but the warranty on the parts requires that i have a "certified AC tech" do the service... He told me he had to fill it through the high side port because it would not fill through the low side.. but the low side is leaking at the fitting he installed.... I am not a certified anything when it comes to a car, but i am certain this is way easier than the tech made it look.
Its not like he had to do the full conversion, everything was new.

That ac cap wil hold a little pressure if the Schrader valve is leaking. You can charge it yourself with a tall van of AC Pro... or any other can with the hose and gauge connected.

My ranger, van, and mustang have all been charged with part store cans. They weren't vacuumed down either. They work.

Im a master mechanic and I think you are overthinking this AC thing. Sure, the shop you went to should fix it. ( no doubt about that ). The AC system isn't really complicated to work on yourself. My mustang is still using the stock compressor from my 89 and my van still uses its stock 88 compressor. I did use a retrofit kit with esther oil when I changed them over to r134a but since then they've been charged several times with cans. No issues.... other than me not tightening a line all the way on the mustang.

Most mechanics nowadays are incompetent. Ive been in this business for over 20 years. There's no way these guys would've survived 20 years ago.
quick question, the tech installed the conversion fittings. is there anyway to actually screw that up? like could he have installed the conversion fittings without removing the original schrader valve??
I only ask because he was babbling on about the new schrader valve pushing down on the old one or some such..

Yes, I've seen people install them with the old valve installed. The kit I used I removed the old valves and had their own valves.

It's very hard to screw up. Theres almost no way to damage the inside of the hose connection unless the tech is really dumb. Depending on the type of valve it may need the valve replaced.

A few things happened today, first i will say that the crank pulley is much larger than the stock one... Keep in mind i had it cut as an 8 rib for possible future belt upgrade, the belt that is on the car now is about .5" to short, the tensioner is maxed out.. I ran the car for a few minutes to test it and a throttle blip gave me a 9psi reading that is promising.
20180905_192023.jpg

Now lets talk about what i found and did not like, another fouled plug in cylinder #4, the other 7 look perfect... I have already moved the injector to rule it out, changed the coil packs and plug wires... not sure what else could be wrong, so i did a compression test on the motor. Cold readings show 160psi in all 8 cylinders.... not bad. I am now down to the final thing i can think of, its loading that one cylinder at idle from fuel reversion.... I cannot lean one cylinder on this engine, it is wired in a wasted injection configuration.... So i am going to try and alter the injection timing a bit to see if it helps..
If anyone has an idea for me to try i am all ears.

20180905_185705.jpg

Last edited: