Finally done my turbo!

Well took quite a while but its finally running. still a few minor things to do still.

Basically stock motor, 306 rebuilt shortblock, nothing fancy. 1.7 roller rockers I ported the intake and heads myself. Numbers from the dyno are 412 hp and 507 tq to the wheels.

IMG046.jpg

IMG048.jpg

I think the most enjoyable thing to do is when an import comes up next to me and starts spooling his turbo, then I spool mine and just smile :D .

Attachments

• IMG046.jpg
    IMG046.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG048.jpg
    IMG048.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah turbos are better than crack cocaine. Ever since i got my Merkur i've been obsessed with it and it's really only a matter of time before my 'stang gets turbo...

Yeah I basically fabbed it up myself bought a used kit locally when it came up I couldn't pass it up. running between 11 to 8 psi depending on heat, 60-1 turbonetics turbo, hks wastegate, spearco intercooler. I still need to do the intakes upper and lower, I really hate how the stock ones look hehe.

Yeah I basically fabbed it up myself bought a used kit locally when it came up I couldn't pass it up. running between 11 to 8 psi depending on heat, 60-1 turbonetics turbo, hks wastegate, spearco intercooler. I still need to do the intakes upper and lower, I really hate how the stock ones look hehe.

Man if i were doing an EFI turbo setup i'd go with a Victor Jr carb style intake drilled for injectors and run an elbow up top....damn near zero restriction and a nice short runner to let the boost flow without anything holding it back.

Also what heads are you running? If you wanna stay in a tight budget, you can get GT40P heads and swap them on...they work fantastic with turbo setups and they'll show big gains vs. stock heads.

I dream of the day when I shall somehow be able to afford any manner of forced induction. I used to think that superchargers were THE way to go, but the more I look into the details on turbo setups, the more I'm tempted to fall over to that dark side...

Just curious, how much of a budget did you wind up spending in putting together a setup like that?

Ok with the new 30 lbs injectors, flex a lite black magic fan, I paid to have the intercooler piping made up new 255 lph fuel pump, the used turbo kit, new braided lines and hardware for the turbo oil lines, used 130 amp alternator for the electrical fan, battery relocation kit, baffles welded to one valve cover for the breather. and extra exhaust piping I needed I spent around 2800 dollars including all the extra hardware and hose needed.

I think I did pretty well since most turbo kits seem to run around 4000-5000 dollars alone.

I dream of the day when I shall somehow be able to afford any manner of forced induction. I used to think that superchargers were THE way to go, but the more I look into the details on turbo setups, the more I'm tempted to fall over to that dark side...

Just curious, how much of a budget did you wind up spending in putting together a setup like that?

Dude, i already have one spare Garrett T3....and i know where another one is in a JY....Check this out, a guy does a DIY setup with two T3s on a 351 and runs 10s.. http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

I'm still a rookie to the turbo world but it really is idiot proof power....just do it right and it's childs play.

By the way, i got the T3 for $30 from the junkyard.....i'll get the second for the same price. That's twin turbos for $60. Even if i spend a couple hundred each having them rebuilt, that's still less than $500 for twin turbo. Get yourself some MAC shorties and flip'em upside down and then with some fabbing you can probably put it all together for less than $1500 and make ridiculous power, still on a stock engine.

Then the beauty is, just like Jwalsh's combo, it really doesn't take a whole lot to make sick power....even if you blow up the engine, go out and get a low mileage Explorer engine and swap the turbo kit onto it and you're back in business. I've got a friend locally who does this religiously and has made 535hp and runs 10.25s with a turbo Explorer engine. Replacement Explorer engines are typically around $600....that's cheap happy fun time right there!

I can't even afford tires, right now... :(

But still, that does tempt. I plan on buttoning down the rest of the chassis, first, before I go really throwing anything at the powertrain. But if/when I do, I just might wind up going the junkyard turbo route. What kind of donor car would have a T3 on it? Something small like a Dodge Daytona? Or more like a Nissan 300ZX? (Sorry, I know next to nothing about details on turbos...)

Jwalsh: I can't tell from the pics, but did you use the stock headers, or something else? And aren't you worried about the coil wire being that close to the turbo? Those things do tend to get kinda hot, I believe...

I have the accell extreme heat wires, not really a problem. I do have to lengthen my MAF wires though, just finished the build and didn't want to waste time to lengthen them just yet hehe.

And I have the Motorsport ceramic coated headers, brought a tear to my eye when I had to take one off to make way for the junky turbo header.

yea it looks like those MAF wires are hacked in there..hopefully youre gonna fix this with proper connections and wire? other than that the numbers look outstanding for what youre working with, keep it up!

Dude, i already have one spare Garrett T3....and i know where another one is in a JY....Check this out, a guy does a DIY setup with two T3s on a 351 and runs 10s.. http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

I'm still a rookie to the turbo world but it really is idiot proof power....just do it right and it's childs play.

By the way, i got the T3 for $30 from the junkyard.....i'll get the second for the same price. That's twin turbos for $60. Even if i spend a couple hundred each having them rebuilt, that's still less than $500 for twin turbo. Get yourself some MAC shorties and flip'em upside down and then with some fabbing you can probably put it all together for less than $1500 and make ridiculous power, still on a stock engine.

Then the beauty is, just like Jwalsh's combo, it really doesn't take a whole lot to make sick power....even if you blow up the engine, go out and get a low mileage Explorer engine and swap the turbo kit onto it and you're back in business. I've got a friend locally who does this religiously and has made 535hp and runs 10.25s with a turbo Explorer engine. Replacement Explorer engines are typically around $600....that's cheap happy fun time right there!

That is insane. I have added that link to my favorites. I think something like that is in my future. 10's here I come.