FS #6600 ...engines out! (pics)

here is a few shots of the car after (nearly) everything was finished as it sits now. The front springs are to low in my opinion and the tires rub the fenders in the front, plus with my sloaped driveway coming out of my garage the front valence drags a good bit, these springs will be changed back to stock 1991 springs until I find another solution.
thanks
Ben

DSC06060.JPG

DSC06061.JPG

DSC06062.JPG

DSC06063.JPG

DSC06065.JPG

DSC06066.JPG

DSC06067.JPG

DSC06068.JPG

DSC06069.JPG

It isn't perfect but I'll keep plugging away at it until it get's the way I want it.
Problem is the 4V mod motor cars down in Bradenton Ran 11.60's all weekend long. I'll be doing quite a bit of digging trying to figure out how to get my car in that same range with the rules we have that obviously won't be an easy task.......I think the fastest pushrod 5.0 in bradenton ran 12.03 if I'm not mistaken... If anyone has any suggestions on how to play catch up.....feel free to PM or email me.
Thanks
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

Looking good, I really like those wheels. I'm not really familiar w/ the F/S rules, but you could probably save some weight and hp by ditching all the power steering and going with a manual rack. You could also go with an elec water pump, then the only accessory left would be the alternator. I'd also look into moving the battery to the rear. Every little bit helps

SUSPENSION...

In order to run anywhere near that number its going to take testing, and getting the suspension hooked. Not sure your gear, or tire, but the fastest 5.0 guys were in the 1.5s which is disgusting for a DR stick shift car with reletively low HP.

Get the car tuned, every ounce helps out, and sometimes indexing spark plugs, running the largest power steering pulley, and custom bending an off road mid pipe is what separates the winner from the loser. I saw first hand what went into a few NMRA cars, and its all about the details...

Also to note it costs $$$. My friend had a borrowed set of Kuntz E7s that supposedly were FS peices (to my knowledge). I asked about the heads trying to pick them up and they were sold, but the guy who had them claimed the would run about $2500 or more from Kuntz. Now these heads were some insane peices, on a stock bottem end, Explorer intake bolt on car it put down about 310 rwhp (yes stock cam) and even though it only went 12.5 @ 109, in the right car would have easily been low 12s if not faster!

In order to run anywhere near that number its going to take testing, and getting the suspension hooked. Not sure your gear, or tire, but the fastest 5.0 guys were in the 1.5s which is disgusting for a DR stick shift car with reletively low HP.
Get the car tuned, every ounce helps out, and sometimes indexing spark plugs, running the largest power steering pulley, and custom bending an off road mid pipe is what separates the winner from the loser. I saw first hand what went into a few NMRA cars, and its all about the details...
Also to note it costs $$$. My friend had a borrowed set of Kuntz E7s that supposedly were FS peices (to my knowledge). I asked about the heads trying to pick them up and they were sold, but the guy who had them claimed the would run about $2500 or more from Kuntz. Now these heads were some insane peices, on a stock bottem end, Explorer intake bolt on car it put down about 310 rwhp (yes stock cam) and even though it only went 12.5 @ 109, in the right car would have easily been low 12s if not faster!
Yea the suspension is going to be the key I agree. I have a buddy with Kuntz heads in fs as well, He ran low 12's at the race in bradenton but with a slipping/going out clutch.
My heads are "good" but I still have an explorer stock bottem end, and will have until after Reynolds. I currently have a guy building me a FS shortblock that should help me out a great deal.
Suspension, I have a 4:10 gear with stock rebuild trac loc and run them thru 275*50*15 BFG Drag Radials.....with stock axles (currently) I have nothing to hide and don't mind calling on my buds here at Stangnet.com to help me close the advantage gap on the 4V guys!
Right now as you can see they have over a 1/2 second on any FS car currently running............I hope to change that if not at Reynolds then maybe by the next race I can attend.
I'll be indexing my plugs this go round, and a few other key things that will help me run quicker.
currently I am in the process of changing my front springs back to stock, and I have to run up to the fastners place now to get some bolts so I can mount my new fiberglass cobra hood I picked up in Bradenton.
keep the comments rolling.....
I need all the help I can get!
thanks
Jack

25th,
I could have built a Pure Street Car, but those guys are running 10.30's now....and turning 8700 rpms........kinda out of my league (not in technology, but in money) if I had the funds I'd love to build a PS car. But I had to weigh the funds vs fun factory, and then choose FS. Plus the FS class has some of the best competition in it to start with. And Its fun runing stock components and running NA.

Tell ya dad if he has any tips, be sure and PM them to me sometime. I need all the help I can get!
Ben

I would love to run FS too and kind of do on a smaller scale, but we have a roller out back, and a nice little high 10 second PS combo would be a fun car to have. Maybe make a few races with it, but more or less build a fun car into those rules!

How we faired at Reynolds.

well we made the Reynolds NMRA Factory Stock class and made it down by Saturday and ran all three Qualifying passes, starting with a 13.34 off the trailer. And imporving all weekend. Finally running a best of 12.77 @ 107.05 mph. Our 60 ft still has plenty to be desired, but for a first track session I can not complain, especially with it only being a stock 98 explorer shortblock.
We still have much to do, fiberglass hood, lighterweight seats, moving battery box the rear, and of course getting that air bag set up and in use. All and All I can it was a great weekend.
a few pics later
thanks
Ben

thanks Rick. I have a long ways to go. Currently I don't have anything for most of those guys, but once i get a few things changed around....weight, etc. plus get a "race shortblock" then I feel like I will have a chance at nearly all of them. The 4V cars are HOT right now. It's going to be interesting to see what NMRA does to level the playing field...
its still my building year, so hopefully they wont undo anything I've already spent money one, and hopefully they won't allow something totally expensive........to level everyone.
Ben

Congrats, you definately ran some good numbers for the first time out. And NMRA TV has you on a solo pass when the other guy broke, you should go check it out. I predict as the car sits now you should see some 12.3-12.4s easily.

thanks 25th!
I saw that pass earlier but its gone now??

I feel with my mph I should be able to run 12.4's or 12.5's with traction. My best 60 ft of the weekend was a 1.88, which in my opinion sucks.... But I didnt have my air bag hooked up, and still had a bunch of parts that weighted a lot still in the front of the car. hopefully everything will pan out. This cars far from being finished. Right now unless I pick up more sponsors, I'm done until bowling green. With a good shortblock hopefully by then I can get into some high 11's (hopefully).
Ben

ah dang, I was thinking about that today trying to remember your name. lol I'm rough with names especially with all the new people I met this weekend. Thanks again for the funnel! Just when you think you have everything you need for the track you always leave something simple...ie. funnel!
That is one nice comet by the way. We had a trillion things going on, trying to learn all the FS gang, etc.
was good to meet you as well.
Ben