How much faster is the 94-95 than the 96-98?

Joes95GT said:
Yes the 5.0 has a better aftermarket than the 96-98's. But that will change with in the next 5 years. I love my 5.0, but there is no doubt in my mind that the little 4.6 SOHC can make just as much power as the 5.0. Less friction and moving parts = more horsepower, it's that simple. The 4.6's take much better to forced induction than a 5.0 does, and when the market gets bigger for the 4.6 with different heads and intakes, that will be proven. For the time being, the 5.0 is king, but I would be willing to bet money that things will be changing in the next 5-10 years.
Thats true there more and more aftermarket things for the SOHC 4.6. And there will be more in the future, i think the 281ci and 302ci match up nicely but when it becomes 281ci and 347ci match up things become lopsided. I think you can add a little size the the SOHC 4.6 but isnt it just to 302ci???

• Sponsors (?)

WhiteDevil said:
Thats true there more and more aftermarket things for the SOHC 4.6. And there will be more in the future, i think the 281ci and 302ci match up nicely but when it becomes 281ci and 347ci match up things become lopsided. I think you can add a little size the the SOHC 4.6 but isnt it just to 302ci???
Yes, the only downside to a 281 is that you cannot play with the bore and stroke as much as you can with the 302. The 281 can only be made into a 302. Once the aftermarket opens up for the 4.6, like it has for the 5.0, I think a race between a 4.6 302 and a 5.0 347 would be a very good race, if both cars were on the SN-95 chassis. The 4.6 has a design that yields more power per cube, which makes it a great contender against the 5.0.

Joe

Seth5.0 said:
who gonna wait 5-10 years , we talkin NOW

5.0 is the KING
I wouldn't be that bold. The 05 Mustang should be one amazing machine when it comes out. That will be a year or so. With a baseline of 300hp and 315tq, it should be pretty cool to see how it responds to bolt-ons!!! Those 3 valve heads have alot of potential.

Jake

984.6gt said:
Yea, but when I cut 60ft's like you, trap 98-99, my best MPH was a 98.87, typically the better 60ft you have, the less MPH you have, but it results in a better time, I am willing to bet without your Intake manifold, I could run right with you. And you have more Bolt-ons and headers. Not to mention gears, 4.10's would make my car a considerable amount faster. But I am impressed with your car, nice set-up. My main problem is having to stay in 3rd gear across the traps, with 3.27 gears, shifting into 4th gear would hurt my times, with 4.10's I would be able to get into 4th and avoid getting into my cars WORST POINT(5k-6krpms), I shift at 5k, but am forced to redline 3rd when at the track, with 4.10's I think my car could run mid 13's easy.

i seem to remember when i used to race you on the street i always won. I live on the westside of houston. i know it was a while ago and you have gotten stuff since then but i still had my stock slushbox. but if your car is that fast, then **** mine is faster than i think. :p but either way, still good times.

HtownGT said:
i seem to remember when i used to race you on the street i always won. I live on the westside of houston. i know it was a while ago and you have gotten stuff since then but i still had my stock slushbox. but if your caris that fast, then **** mine is faster than i think. :p but either way, still good times.
Huh, who are you? When did you race me? Not calling BS, but I really don't even know who you are? I live in Sugar Land, maybe you have me confused with sombody else? I don't live on the Westside of Houston, that is for sure. And I am not out there that often? If you wanna run, let em know, maybe we can get it on video. I have never lost to a stock Auto 5.0, and am pretty sure it will never happen. But if you want to prove me wrong, I will run you anytime you want, just let me know. :flag:

WhiteDevil said:
For me its always been the harder i launch(better 60ft) the more mph i get cause i come out of the hole in my power band. Im not saying i dont believe it, because i do. That is a nice show of driving skill, and you must have one stick track because with my nitto drags i barely cut 1.9s but my track sucks for traction. I always forget also that you have a 98 those always seem a little stronger than the 96-97 GTs. If you dont wanna be at 5-6K rpms get 3.73s cause when i cross the traps im in 4th gear at about 5,200.
Yea, I run at HRP, it is one of the faster tracks in the US, usually I cut 2.0-2.1 60 ft's, and run 14.0-14.1@98-99, but last Friday I was cutting really good 60's, they had resurfaced the track, that may have been a factor, my next mod will be a timing adjuster and to bump my timing to 15* and see what I can get from that, this chip I have claims to bump my total timing 4-6*, so it may ping at 15*, but it would be sweet if it did not, if it does I will back off untill it runs without any problems, I am hoping I can get it to at least 13*. They just started coming out with upper Intake's for the 4.6L, not that many people have them, but if they seem to make decent gains I may look into that as well, with those two mods and a set of 4.10's, I can see myself running 13.5's@100+. But the mod I need most is Longtubes, that s the best proven mod for the 4.6 as of now, just to damn hard to install.

Striped5.0 said:
Once again that was YOU, and YOUR car, maybe you have a factory freak or maybe your just a good driver but your times deffently do not speak for all 96-98 GT's out there. Its a well known fact that the 96-98 GTs are the slowest Mustangs in recent history and the down low TQ is pretty much non existent compared to a 5.0. Even though there rated the same as the 5.0's from the factory that doesent mean crap b/c we all know that factory production #'s dont mean anything.
Look, I don't know why you have this attutide, but please lighten up, jesus. All I said is what my car ran, I did not say all 96-98 GT's do this, I will even go as far to say that most of them don't. But give me a break, you contradict everything I say to make it into some argument. I have the stock TB, the stock MAF, stock Plenuim, stock Headers, stock Timing, and most important stock Gears, so it is not like my car is HEAVILY modded, it still has ALOT left in it, so what are you gonna say when I am running low 13's, that I have a freak and all other 96-98's are a second slower than me. I have a STRONG feeling that you could give me ANY 96-98 GT Coupe and put my mods on it and I yes "I" could make it run 13's. Not saying anybody else can, but if you think I am some pro driver you are far off, I am just a 19 year old kid who has been driving a stick for 2 years. I have NEVER powershifted, I use the clutch everytime I shift gears. As far as the 5.0 having more low end TQ, yes you are right, but that does not matter because I leave at 4,000RPM's when I am at the track and that is well past my TQ peak anyway, from a slow roll, maybe the 5.0 would jump ahead of a 96-98, who knows. I am NOT the only 13 second 96-98 either, there are guys that are running better times than me with the same if not less mods.

there are freaks from the factory and there are good drivers. combine both and watch out. have one or the other and there is something to look at. my friend ran a mid 12 in his 99 gt with ram air, 3.73 and drag radials. now thats pretty good i think. im hoping my car runs mid 13's with all i have. im new to 5spd (swap about 2 months ago) and my car never wants to run right so im not fast. if someone wanted to race and i said what i had, he would feel good beating me cause i have put money into her and she doesnt run like she should.

i have a friend of a friend that has a 97 (i think) gt auto that has the PI head swap. his car is strong as hell and when my car runs back at her best, i would maybe think twice at putting money down. those mods have big potential. why do you think most of the 302 guys go to a bigger engine when they want to hit times in the 11's and lower??

99 Cobra I wasn't impressed.

One night driving home I was on the interstate and this car, it was dark couldn't tell what make, was all over me like I owed him money. Then he pulled up beside me and I could tell it was a Cobra. Now my car isn't built to run from 70 to top speed (347 stroker) but I thought oh well. He nails it I let him get a little in front of me and nail it. I caught and passed him we raced three times with the same result. He followed me off the interstate and asked me what I did to my car ( he was clueless) then he asked me what gear I was in and when I told him drive it's an automatic the hurt on his face was priceless. He said he would have taken me from a dead stop. Before I could response he got a upset and tore out of the parking lot.

I have driven a few of the 2v and 4v cars not very impressed unless they have a blower and then you have to rev them so high to make power you think a piston is going to fly out of the hood.

I think the 03 Cobra has been the only respectable car yet since the end of the good old 5.0 but that is just my opinion.

984.6gt said:
Yea, I run at HRP, it is one of the faster tracks in the US, usually I cut 2.0-2.1 60 ft's, and run 14.0-14.1@98-99, but last Friday I was cutting really good 60's, they had resurfaced the track, that may have been a factor, my next mod will be a timing adjuster and to bump my timing to 15* and see what I can get from that, this chip I have claims to bump my total timing 4-6*, so it may ping at 15*, but it would be sweet if it did not, if it does I will back off untill it runs without any problems, I am hoping I can get it to at least 13*. They just started coming out with upper Intake's for the 4.6L, not that many people have them, but if they seem to make decent gains I may look into that as well, with those two mods and a set of 4.10's, I can see myself running 13.5's@100+. But the mod I need most is Longtubes, that s the best proven mod for the 4.6 as of now, just to damn hard to install.
Yeah N/A 13.5s would be great for your car man. Im gettin some new BFG DR's and i think i should hit 13.5s with a harder launch. My best run was on a 2.02 60ft lol if i could cut a 1.89 like you i would probably hit a 13.4 or something. When you get your gears i think you and me would be a really good race.

Yea, I can drive pretty good, get this, I have a buddy with a Cammed LS1, he runs 12.209@116, one day he let me run his car at the track, it was the 1st time I had ever drove it, I ran 12.361@115, he was shocked. In case it helps here is my trick, I pull into the water, and start a burnout, as soon as it pulls foward, I the brake with my left foot and powershift into 2nd gear and do a good 60-70mph burnout, then I come off the brake and keep the car floored untill it hooks and jumps out, that is how you KNOW your tiers are hot enough, it is kinda tricky shifting and braking, but you get used to it time after time, then when I am staged, I hold my RPM's at the desired launching RPM and start to come off the clutch untill it feels like it is going to budge, then when the tree drops I slip it as fast as I can and hope the cars stays up and does not fall on it's face.

984.6gt said:
Huh, who are you? When did you race me? Not calling BS, but I really don't even know who you are? I live in Sugar Land, maybe you have me confused with sombody else? I don't live on the Westside of Houston, that is for sure. And I am not out there that often? If you wanna run, let em know, maybe we can get it on video. I have never lost to a stock Auto 5.0, and am pretty sure it will never happen. But if you want to prove me wrong, I will run you anytime you want, just let me know. :flag:

well my ex lives out in mo. city that is how i raced you, going down to se you. and yes i know it was you, b/c i have talked to you about it before and for a while i remember you had a big RPm motorsports sticker on the back of your car. adn yes you did get beat by a stock auto.

HtownGT said:
Well my ex lives out in Mo. City that is how I raced you, going down to see her. And yes I know it was you, b/c i have talked to you about it before and for a while I remember you had a big RPM Motorsports sticker on the back of your car. And yes you did get beat by a stock auto.
Hmm, sorry, but I have no idea what RPM Motorsports is, nor have I ever had a sticker of that on my car, like I said, if you want to race me, we can do it WHENEVER you want, you seem to be rather confident that you beat me, so why don't we meet up and you show me. Like I said, I have NO idea who you are or why you seem to think you have raced me. There are ALOT of Black 96-98 GT's in this area maybe you raced another one. But like I said, if you are so confident you can beat me, I will run you anytime you are ready, are you modded now? Because if we do meet up, and you come with a stock 94-95 GT Automatic, it is gonna be ugly. Not trying to be rude, but it is kinda lame that you come on here claiming to have beat me in a high 14-low 15 second car when I run 13's. I am not saying that 94-95's are slow at all, and I have had my ass handed to me by modded ones on several occasions, but like I said before, I have never lost to a stock Automatic 94-95 GT. But if you want to prove me wrong, like I said before, I am willing to meet you anytime you want and you can have your chance to prove me wrong. I have a little Digi Cam we can even record the race, that way if you beat me you can come on here and show everybody how you showed a little 98 4.6 who was Boss. ;)

984.6gt said:
Look, I don't know why you have this attutide, but please lighten up, jesus. All I said is what my car ran, I did not say all 96-98 GT's do this.

No kidding, I said the same thing in the first 2 senteces in my post :rolleyes:. I dont have an Attiutide either, its the fact that you come into our fourm preaching to us at how "you think" the 96-98 4.6 is just as good as or better then our 94-95 5.0's when in all reality thats a load of horse crap. Im not the only one that feels this way, They just dont come out and say it. When I was looking at my GT that I bought I first thought it was 96 4.6 ( I was new to stangs then) and then when I poped the hood and saw 5.0 HO Stamped on the Intake I almost got down on my knees and thanked god.

Striped5.0 said:
No kidding, I said the same thing in the first 2 senteces in my post :rolleyes:. I dont have an Attiutide either, its the fact that you come into our fourm preaching to us at how "you think" the 96-98 4.6 is just as good as or better then our 94-95 5.0's when in all reality thats a load of horse crap. Im not the only one that feels this way, They just dont come out and say it. When I was looking at my GT that I bought I first thought it was 96 4.6 ( I was new to stangs then) and then when I poped the hood and saw 5.0 HO Stamped on the Intake I almost got down on my knees and thanked god.
Jesus here we go again. I know if I get an attitude with you I will get flamed, so I will put it like this, I have owned a 1994 Mustang GT, it was a Vert but it was still a 5.0, I took it to the track one time, and it was on street tires, the car ran a 15.4@89mph, it broke about a month later and I found the 98 and bought it, the 98 already had some flowmasters welded in to it, but besides that the car was stock, it felt a good amount quicker than the old 5.0, and when I went to the track it ran 14.6@ over 95mph, on street tires. And this was off a WORSE 60ft than the 5.0L. Now I am not saying this is the case with all 5.0's, but like me and OTHERS here said, there is not much difference between the 94-95 and 96-98's in stock performance. If you think there is, then you are just dumb, not one time have I said the 96-98 are better, so don't go putting words in my mouth. I said stock for stock, and bolt-on to bolt-on, they run fairly close together. I will tell yu this though, I have no problem with 94-95 GT's on the street or at the track unless they have aftermarket heads, cam, or intakes. I feel happy with the fact that I can take a stock 99+ Ford Head, have it ported, and be looking at close to 300rwhp, for a 5.0 to do that is takes a set good set aftermarket heads, and fairly large cam, and a very good breathing intake manifold. To tell you the truth, I think it might even be cheaper for a 96-98 GT to reach 300rwhp that a 5.0L. Most HCI 5.0's see make 260-280RWHP, and that is with the better heads that cost a good amount of money, hell, I can go to a junkyard and find some stock 99-04 GT heads anyday. And we are talking FORD HEADS, from the FACTORY. I am willing to bet there are no E& headed 5.0's making 300HP. And what do you run in the 1/4, you sure do talk alot of ****, it would be funny if my weak ass little 98 GT ran harder than your gods gift to earth 5.0.

Striped5.0 said:
Its the fact that you come into our fourm preaching to us at how "you think" the 96-98 4.6 is just as good as or better then our 94-95 5.0's when in all reality thats a load of horse crap. Im not the only one that feels this way, They just dont come out and say it.
Joes95GT-
I think a lot of people exagerate the lack of capabilites a 96-98 4.6 has. Who ever said that they are a mid 15 second car at best is on medication. My uncle has a 98 GT and ran consistent 14.2 - 14.3 with it, only mods being a hacked air silencer w/ a K&N and pullies. So, stock the car would have been a 14.5 second car. With slicks I don't see why he couldn't have pulled a 13.9 because his 60's were 1.95-2.05's on street tires. Yes he is a decent driver and there is a possibility that his car is very light, even though he did run in full street trim. So, I'm not completely believing the whole 4.6's suck.

GTJAKE-It seems like the 98's are a little better, but I agree with you, 4.6's aren't that much slower than our cars stock.

timk-i'm still wondering how long it's go to take most 5.0 people to see the massive potential there is in the 4.6 based motors. just because the '96-'98 cars were sluggish from the factory is no reason to scrap the whole motor. if you've been keeping an eye on all the ads in the mags, the 4.6-based aftermarket is growing FAST. it's only a 12 year old design, only used in performance applications for 7 or 8 years. if the newer cars hadn't gotten heavier, it would be a lot tougher for 5.0 cars to keep up with the 4.6's.

HairyCanary- For the most part I think stock GT's are very similar from 94 to 98

95GTS- Maybe I'm looking at this arguement wrong but the 94-95 GT's weren't exactly overachievers. Don't get me wrong, I love those cars and had my 95GTS for 8 years and very much so regret selling it. Stockwise, my 95 was a pig though its 2.73 gears I'm sure had a lot to do with that. Friends 98GT was very much so a match for my 95, stock for stock. He did have 3.27 gears though. I personally would say the 94-98 Mustang GT's were all on the same level of performance. The nice thing about the 5.0 was the ease of modding. It was very easy to increase the performance with the huge aftermarket available for the 5.0 cars. Of course, nothing beats the ease of modding and increasing the performance of my 03 Cobra

ruffa 4- agree too!!

I've owned both (bone stock) and honestly they're very similar.

But the 94-95's have better aftermarket support than the 96-98's. With so many aftermarket heads and intake manifolds and cams etc to choose from, the combinations are endless!!