Minor tire rub with new wheels/tires

• Sponsors (?)

We're waiting for the alignment shop (one that specializes in fords/shelby drops... marlo's frame resto, mentioned in another thread) to have time, which wont' be until this weekend. So... no news until then. The lower profile 225 50r15s are mounted and ready to go whenever its done. Trust me, I'm anxious too

You're dragging the car to So Cal to get aligned?

I live in socal (when not at school... like now), and work about 10 minutes from that shop. They're just busy doing a bunch of shelby resto's at the moment and can't fit me in just yet.

Update: got the alignment done and the new tires mounted. The good news: the car looks incredible and the tire rubbing on the front-bottom corner when turning is gone. Bad news: going over deep dips and big bumps the tires hit the fender lips almost every time. Sow hile the car is drivable, its tough to do the 'spirited' driving i so adore. Heh.

Lesson for everyone else... 3.75" bs on 15x7s doesn't work particularly well on 65/66s. Once I get teh fenders rolled it should be fine... anyone know how much i'm looking at to have a shop do that? Or shoudl I just do it myself?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Once I get teh fenders rolled it should be fine... anyone know how much i'm looking at to have a shop do that? Or shoudl I just do it myself?
I did it with a baseball bat on the rear. For the front there is a lot less support to do the bat trick so I took the wheel off and hit the inside with a hammer from the bodyshop hammer pile, while supporting the outside with a dolly wrapped in a rag.

I have zero rub but then 67s have a little more room. Here's a 225/50-15 with the same wheels/backspace as yours. The fenders were rolled when I still had the 235/60-14 but as you can see there is plenty of room anyway. Maybe you could use just a little more negative camber. Mine is set to -1.5 degrees yet tire wear is pretty even.
http://images14.fotki.com/v21/photos/4/43509/229607/P4160033-vi.jpg?1050519838

I did it with a baseball bat on the rear. For the front there is a lot less support to do the bat trick so I took the wheel off and hit the inside with a hammer from the bodyshop hammer pile, while supporting the outside with a dolly wrapped in a rag.

I have zero rub but then 67s have a little more room. Here's a 225/50-15 with the same wheels/backspace as yours. The fenders were rolled when I still had the 235/60-14 but as you can see there is plenty of room anyway. Maybe you could use just a little more negative camber. Mine is set to -1.5 degrees yet tire wear is pretty even.
http://images14.fotki.com/v21/photos/4/43509/229607/P4160033-vi.jpg?1050519838

Baseball bats and dollys... I have those. Doesn't seem like a dolly would provide that much support... how'd you prop it up? Any alternatives you can think of to brace it? As much detail/advice as you can give me... i'd prefer not to spend a ton of money at a body shop.

SadbutTrue, I am kind of in the same boat as you. My '66 has 225/60R15 BFG Radial TAs all the way around mounted on 15x7 styled steel wheels from Virginia Classic Mustang. Does anyone know what the backspacing of these wheels? I don't think they come in different backspacings.

Anyway, my front tires rub slightly on the upper control arm ball joint area. Should I go with a more narrow tire like a 205? What aspect ratio should I go with?
Thanks

dodge... for the record you can mark me down on the chart as having been successful with the 3.75" bs wheels after re-sizing the tires, doing the shelby mod... and rolling the fenders.

ie tell people never to get the 3.75 inchers and get 4.25 instead. learn from my mistakes, heh. the one plus is i do like how the smaller bs sticks out int he wheelwells a bit more. not worth the extra few hundred bucks and two weekends of labor to get them in, but its nice.