PI heads&cams Or Blower?

I'm interested in seeing how many diffrent opinions I get on this question, I have a 98 GT and am not completely sure witch way to go, blower or PI heads and cams. I already have all the usual bolt on parts. (PI intake, C&L upper elbow, 75tb, BBK cold air, 80 massair, pulleys, longtubes, hpipe, flowmasters, 4:10, 2800stall, transgo shiftkit, custom burnt Diablo chip) I've got 106,000 miles on the motor now but it runs fine. I was thinking either a s-trim vortech or the Patriot stage 2 heads and cam package. I know the blower without the intercooler is about 80 or 90 horse bolt-on, and I have seen similar numbers in the mags when a head swap is done on the older 4.6 cars like mine. I've got a top notch shop the (owner is a personal friend) here where I live so labor is not a issue on price, but as far as the two goes I believe the head swap will be a little cheaper. Any body had the same problem on makeing up your mind? I've always wanted a blower but would like to have ported heads with some great sounding cams too. (No I can't afford both, wish I could!) Any input would be a great help :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Kilgore Trout said:

I'm gonna have to say go with the heads and cams. With 106K on a stock shortblock IDK how long its gonna last under the boost. I'd say go blower if u plan on rebuilding the bottom end. You will get more power gains from the blower obviously but the PI headswap is much safer power. Not only are u getting power from the PI headswap but you are taking some of those old worn out parts off and putting new better parts on there. If u tell me what your plans are for the car and how much money you have to spend I could tell you a little better what I would recommend but for now I would say do the PI headswap and some nice VT cams.

If you have a PI intake already, then the heads are really not gonna help that much. I mean, they may be good for some horsepower, but hardly worth the cost if you already have the PI intake. I would say get a blower. Granted, you have a lot of miles on the car, but just use the blower until the engine gives out. Thats what I would do at least.

Theres a dude on modularfords that has the cometic .078 headgaskets and pi heads and it reduced his compressoin back down to stock, so that he could run a vortech blower. Which makes me say you should get the piheads,cams and intake and put on and then get the blower after.

Go for the Blower, your not going to have the car forever, you may be able to re-use the blower down the line on your next car or atleast take it off and resell it easier than those heads. Plus the blower makes good power and the sound is awsome.

Well after reading the return answers everybody has a pretty valid point and a good case for the best way to make the best power. I've thought about doing the heads and spraying it but the juice has always made be a little nervous in the past so I never got it (on any of my cars). So this would be the first time for me if I went that route. Also I've checked prices on a complete PI motor from some of the shops in the mags (Mustang parts specialties) and can get a PI motor for $1700 and could get a motor with much less milage. If I was to do the head swap I would have more money than this in the change and I dont think a lot more power (after I add all my existing parts (upper elbow,75tb,80massair ect...) Then a litte down the road add whatever blower I wanted to and have a motor with the PI heads and less miles on the clock. I just wan't to do the best thing for power and not have to worry about mechanical problems 3 months from now. :damnit:

My car is a daily driver. I made the same decision a few years back when the car had 60K miles. It runs great right now. I'd also go for the PI motor (low miles 50K or less) and bolt your stuff to it. Then go to the next step.

98blackmagic said:
Been thiinking about this all day, the more I do the better it sounds. I guess i'll be going for the complete PI motor. Here is a new question what is a good set of cams to swap on the PI motor before it is put in? (just for a little something extra) :shrug:

Depending on wether u plan on getting the heads ported or not. If u do gets the heads ported VT stage 2 cams if not VT stage 1 cams.

98blackmagic said:
Been thiinking about this all day, the more I do the better it sounds. I guess i'll be going for the complete PI motor. Here is a new question what is a good set of cams to swap on the PI motor before it is put in? (just for a little something extra) :shrug:

explorer motor, comes with aluminum block, 90lbs lighter.