Seeking Advice on Hi-Miles LX

motordork5121

Mar 16, 2007
Hi,

Just picked up a '90 LX 5.0 stick hatchback for a decent price, but with 231K miles. I know both previous owners, daily driver, straight sheet metal and perfect interior with some manageable rust issues. Drive train is fine, motor pulls well and passed emissions, no oil use, but runs out of beans at 3500 rpm.

So - the question is how much motor work to do and when. This will be just a play car, and I'm a geezer who is interested in restoring back to basically stock and won't be racing. My plan calls for basics first (fluids, tuneup, hoses, belts, cooling system, brakes, suspension), bodywork and paint, and motor. Right now, I'm thinking of just pulling the heads and getting them rebuilt, but I'm concerned that with that many miles, l'll need to do at least rings and bearings as well... and with heads off, probably should do cam, timing gear... Sinking a couple grand in isn't a problem but I probably don't need to spend $4K on a crate motor either.

Appreciate any thoughts. I know this gen 302 has a great block and pistons, but still seems like a lot of miles...

Thanks!
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Really, with that many miles and a loss of power like you describe, you shold tear the whole motor down.

At the very least, aside from heads, you should be looking at new main bearings. You should pull the cam and check the lobes and cam bearings for excessive wear. If you are putting new valves in, you should also do your pushrods and lifters (though I would also recommend a new cam). Aside from the cam, these are inexpensive.

If you are going to do the rings, you will have to see how much wear/scoring there is in the cylander walls. If it is excessive, you will need to have the block machined for new rings. If you have to get the block machined, you are looking at over-sized rings or larger pistons.

You can buy complete 5.0 rebuild kits for well under $1000 and would be well worth it for you, but you will have to tear everything down first to see where you're at.

Welcome to SN
Hard to tell what might be the problem with out having it apart and looking over everything.
I would start with a simple tune up and some new o2 sensors, or atleast clean up the current set. You said it was a 90 so I would also be looking at the air intake to make sure it is clear of debris and the MAF is clean.
The rebuild kits that Fastford58 mentioned is a great way to go, but if the cyl walls are are scored you will be spending money at the machine shop.

These motors are pretty tough, and if you dont plan on racing it i would start with the simple/cheap things and see where it takes you.

contact local builder regarding a budget rebuild..you'd be surprised how affordable a fresh longblock can be if you're not going to seriously modify with upgrades. While the motor is being built it's a nice time to have a body shop laydown fresh paint...likely could have it all done for under 3000.

Thanks for the great replies! I figure I'm kidding myself if I think I can just do the top end and not have more to do, given the mileage. Funny, it's probably been this way for a while... I bought it from my buddy, and when I test drove it with him, I punched it... and he freaked that I took it over 3000 rpm. I'll bet he's been tooling around forever and not even pushing it enough to notice the valve float.

Anyways, I'm planning to do everything but the machine work myself (although paint and body is my usual thing, not full motor rebuilds). Hopefully I'm not being overconfident...

Chris