Which heads fit an '84 5.0

mandkcasey

Dec 26, 2004
I just purchased an '84 Mustang 5.0. From my understanding and research, and please correct me if I am wrong, the 84 5.0 used a solid lifter cam setup. I have a pair of '89 heads, which is the hydraulic lifter style. Will the '89 heads fit onto the '84 Mustang if I resuse the solid lifter setup. If not, does anyone know which aftermarket aluminum heads might fit the '84.

Thanks for your response.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

mandkcasey said:
So are you saying the heads won't fit unless a)I buy this retro kit, or b) I convert it to a roller hydraulic. Just want to make sure I am understanding it properly.

Thanks

No, the heads will work. I was referring to the flat-tappet lifters vs roller lifters you mentioned. You can stay flat tappet and use any of the popular heads. Sorry, didn't mean to side step your orig. question- just got hung up on your lifter comment. :)

The heads will bolt on and work perfectly. The 84 has a Ford Marine engine based flat tappet hydraulic cam. This is a pretty straightforward carbed 302 Ford.

The heads will fit fine. I would do some checking before I added these for a performance upgrade. Add in the cost of the machine shop work, upgraded valvesprings, etc, and you can get to something much better for nearly the same money. The later GT heads, E7's or irongt 40s or similar would be a decent step.