drove an 05 today.... impressions.

• Sponsors (?)

aggiedj02 said:
got ya... I was just giving you a hard time anyway... thanks for not taking it personally. All my friends are GM guys, so you can imagine the hell I get :rlaugh:

One of my friends fathers works for Chevy and every time I go over his house he tells me to get my ford out of his driveway. We always bust on each other. In the end I like almost all muscle cars and speaking of that the kid across the street just fired up his Z28 as I write this.

Gearbanger 101 said:
:Word:......not liking it because of the way it looks is one thing. Some people are always going to like one model over another for just that reason, but not liking it for any other reason is bunk. It's a hands down better car from every aspect. I'd be interested to see if anyone can come up with one thing an earlier generation mustang does better than the newest model.
I guess I come from a idealism that Pony cars should feel raw, unrefined and gives the driver a feeling of being part of the car.

I dont feel that when Im in a 05+ mustang.

DocG2828 said:
....but sometimes the rawness of this stang makes me feel like I'm going to be part of a telephone pole.

Weird, I feel pretty confident in the Stang, the only time it gets hairy is around long sweeping turns goin around 60-70+ it tends to wobble/float. And with my old GT just some simple lowering springs helped a ton.

CatmanJJ said:
Weird, I feel pretty confident in the Stang, the only time it gets hairy is around long sweeping turns goin around 60-70+ it tends to wobble/float. And with my old GT just some simple lowering springs helped a ton.

I tend to have problems going over bumps and potholes, maybe its just living near and driving in Cincinnati with a solid axle. Trying to take a turn and hitting a pothole, whole damn car shifts 6 inches to the side. Probably not gonna lose it, but makes me wonder sometimes. Sometimes I get the floating too. Hopefully have some Bilsteins and HR springs sometime down the road though :D

mogs01gt said:
I guess I come from a idealism that Pony cars should feel raw, unrefined and gives the driver a feeling of being part of the car.

I dont feel that when Im in a 05+ mustang.
Perhaps, but if that were the case, we'd all still be driving around in old Fox body's? The reason most people moved from the Fox to the SN95 in the first place was because of the additional refinements that came with the car. A fresher look, a stiffer chassis, better brakes, better suspension geometry, a more ergonomic, driver friendly interior and standard level of creature comforts that you couldn't get in the previous model without ordering a fully optioned car. Lets not kid ourselves, the beloved Fox was pretty long in the tooth and it was time for a change. Well....it's now time for that change to come again.

You're not feeling the rawness with an S197 because where the old Fox and SN95's were running on the ragged edge....crackling, shuddering and groaning all the way, the S197's cruise right along without as much as a creak or a wobble. The raw "one with the road" feeling of a Mustang is still there with the latest generation....it's just moved up a couple of notches on the performance ladder and you're actually able to push the car a lot further now before it creeps up on you.

It’s just growing pains. This model is going to take a little while to wear on people just like the previous ones did. I’m sure once they start coming down in price and your average Joe is more able to afford them, the old school die-hards will start welcoming them in with open arms.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Perhaps, but if that were the case, we'd all still be driving around in old Fox body's? The reason most people moved from the Fox to the SN95 in the first place was because of the additional refinements that came with the car. A fresher look, a stiffer chassis, better brakes, better suspension geometry, a more ergonomic, driver friendly interior and standard level of creature comforts that you couldn't get in the previous model without ordering a fully optioned car. Lets not kid ourselves, the beloved Fox was pretty long in the tooth and it was time for a change. Well....it's now time for that change to come again.

You're not feeling the rawness with an S197 because where the old Fox and SN95's were running on the ragged edge....crackling, shuddering and groaning all the way, the S197's cruise right along without as much as a creak or a wobble. The raw "one with the road" feeling of a Mustang is still there with the latest generation....it's just moved up a couple of notches on the performance ladder and you're actually able to push the car a lot further now before it creeps up on you.

It’s just growing pains. This model is going to take a little while to wear on people just like the previous ones did. I’m sure once they start coming down in price and your average Joe is more able to afford them, the old school die-hards will start welcoming them in with open arms.

Dang right:hail2:

I have driven the 05/06's and I LOVE them. I find it really funny how we complain about the "ancient" suspension used on the mustang and then when they finally upgrade it we start to complain "it is to refined".

It may take some time to grow on some people, but with more power better looks (I am sorry but i think they are awesome) and a better ride the car was a hit with me and tons of people right from the start.

It is where the Mustang is headed and I say about time.