Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

• Sponsors (?)

Will do, but it will be a while.

I suppose it's better than trying to jack the car up and denting in the oil pan.
I just slide my jack under the K-member now. I've considered ways to fix it before, I look at that bottom part as a long rectangle. I am thinking to cut one of the sides of the "rectangle" off, maybe the inside or the bottom part, straighten the walls, and then weld a flat piece of steel back on it, paint it and probably wouldn't be able to tell.

I continue to mediate on the Notchback despite other priorities taking precedence and the slow time it is taking to pull together all the Z2363 engine and T-56 transmission swap items. The fact that I was never able to locate the engine gremlin that causes misfires and hiccups is making me consider sending my ECU off to Fox Resto. They'll do a full examination, repair and thorough testing to ensure the 30 year old ECU is good. This is something I will have to address anyway with the new engine. Meaning, going with an aftermarket ECU or maintaining the stock setup. Does anyone have any input on having one's ECU examined for shorts? I realize I could replace the capacitors myself, but I'd rather have an expert do it and be able to test it afterwards.

Send it to the ECUExange, you have to do it through ebay but it's the best deal going, I think foxresto sends them to a rebuilder anyway, they will replace some power pack thing and any thing else that needs replaced with updated stuff, I've used them for several times.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Just mailed it off. And I used "freeship21" for free shipping. Hopefully this fixes the popping and hesitation issues.

"Yes, please purchase on our website, if possible, we are trying to grow outside of eBay. if you do, please use Promocode "freeship21" at check out for free return shipping."

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I received a response from ECUexchange today. This could quite literally "change everything".

The power supply in your computer was defective causing distortion on the system voltages. We also replaced the power supply along with the capacitors and voltage regulators which are common to fail and this will prevent future defects. We also beefed up a couple other areas known to fail while we were in there.

• Winner
Given the age of our cars and the old electronics I think it's a good idea to pull the ecu and have it refurbished. Even if it isn't giving you trouble at the moment. It's not a matter of if it will fail, but when will it fail. The stuff is old and way past its prime. I'm glad you are getting it sorted.

Reactions: 1 user
Given the age of our cars and the old electronics I think it's a good idea to pull the ecu and have it refurbished. Even if it isn't giving you trouble at the moment. It's not a matter of if it will fail, but when will it fail. The stuff is old and way past its prime. I'm glad you are getting it sorted.
I haven't driven my car since November because I was worried about the electronic gremlin. Looks like I'll be attending Cars and Coffee in it next weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
It's been approximately five months since I started purchasing my list of parts for the Z2363/T-56 swap. The Ford Racing engine is delayed until Jan '23 from an initial June '22 delivery. The BBK catted X-pipe is slow as well. Apparently the catalyst fibers are hard to source. And lastly, the JMS MAF extension is estimated to take another six months. Yep, patience is a virtue. Oh, and the engine price went up from $10,499.99 to now $13,300. Damn Putin Price Hike!

20220618_162345.jpg

• Surprised
  • Sad
After more than A YEAR of waiting she'll be getting a new heart and an extra transmission gear (Magnum T-56) soon. Patience is a virtue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120-174416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230120-174416_Chrome.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 4 users
Quick update on the status of the Ford Performance Z2363 engine and T-56 transmission upgrade...progress has been slower than planned due to numerous items that are not compatible in a Fox Body install. A different water pump and main balancer were required due to the incompatible with the accessory drive. The engine is resting on the steering rack, so offset rack bushings had to be sourced. 1 3/4" BBK long tube headers leave no room for a clutch fork, so I had to go with a hydraulic clutch set up and also needed to mill a different steering shaft.

Murphy's Law is kickin' in hard, but this is why you build 15-20% into the budget for unplanned expenses. The car should be super stealthy, and absolutely rip.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Dang man, I saw your pics a few pages ago and didn't remember this thread at all, so I went back to page 1 (and re-read this whole thing) and saw the original pics and immediately remembered this build. I never saw it had been painted though and it looks awesome man! Great job with this car!