Break-in proceedure.

• Sponsors (?)

DMAN302 said:
Like daughter like father..bet she could build a 302 with her eyes closed by the age of 6..lol

I built a 302 at 9 years old. It was a clear plastic scale model of a Mustang engine with real moving parts. Heck, any woman would adore me for that! I bet those models are worth something today :hail2:

Actually, while she appreciates them (cars), her passion is music. Kickin' it on-stage with her Gibson SG (black "bat") through a vintage 1972 Fender twin-reverb amp set on full crunchy is more her style. Uh, she might've gotten some of that from dad too. :)

When I took auto tech in school and from what I have learned on the field, proper engine build is the most important factor when it comes to performance and longevity.

Actually from what I understand that websites' author is pretty right mostly. I've read alot of official lituature where after the first warm up, a engine loading cycle is recomended for sealing the rings. After that your supposed to drive normally, don't beat on it but don't baby it either. Load doesn't really effect wear of an engine, but speed does.

If I were to be putting a new engine in instead of a trans, First I would prime the engine then I would start it up and run it about 2000 rpm at least until it is warmed up. Let it cool then change the oil and filter and take it out and do an engine loading cycle similar mentioned on that website and others, then change the oil again allowing the engine too cool some more and take it for a drive on some back country roads. Then just drive normally for a while but I would wait a little while then throw some synthetic oil in before heading for the track.

Michael Yount said:
Uh - I was referring to 33 years with the same partner....my daughter turns 30 in November - now SHE'S old!

I knew that and congrats to you :nice: Only been 10 with my wife, but it's the principal of what you said was what I was handing you cheers too :flag:
Honesty is always the best policy
Scott

I just primed, started and idled mine for a while then drove it 500km's not above 4000rpm's then changed the oil. Drove another 1000km's a little more aggressive, changed the oil again. Now I just drive her. Oil press. is at 80 when started then 65-70 when hot (mechanical gauged).