Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Today I taught my first class of second year students A.C. theory.... exhausting when your relearning the material as you go. All in all it went well.

On the way home my sub cut out on me.... i checked for continuity to the sub and have nothing across the coil. I have to pull the speaker box out and open it up to see what happened.... I'm hoping the fuses on the sub opened before it burned up. I wanted heavy bass on the way home today and my sq sub has to work overtime to make that happen...

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I hate it when the list of things to fix grows instead of shrinking....
Now I have a wide band to fix or replace, the dash to pull for heater core and evaporator and the speaker box/entire back half of the interior to disassemble so I can figure out what happened....

Sometimes I think the car gods toy with me.

I hate it when the list of things to fix grows instead of shrinking....
Now I have a wide band to fix or replace, the dash to pull for heater core and evaporator and the speaker box/entire back half of the interior to disassemble so I can figure out what happened....

Sometimes I think the car gods toy with me.
Hell,...I was just gonna replace the rings...

* in the key of 12 days of Christmas..

Now I got 6 new sleeved cylinders,....New forged rods, an Independent TB intake, A completely different exhaust header, a fully ported head, A new 3 angle valve job, New rod bearings, A new Cometic gasket, a useless set of radiators, mounted behind the LJK,....AND....a set of rings.......In..a pear tree....

I need to generate
code that skims the
leftover parts of
posters then lists
them automatically
in the classifieds
sections
:think:

I'll have to remember to do this after I build my first quantum A.I..

Please continue

Reactions: 1 user
:chin prototype works well

20180203_173052.jpg
20180203_173107.jpg
20180203_173111.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
FYI the sliding linkage while being an ugly piece together with spare junk under the work bench, works flawlessly. It solved the odd pressure surge off idle, the hanging idle, the touchy pedal feel and still has good throttle response.

It is a bit weird to feel the second resistance at half throttle when the slide meets the linkage and the second TB starts to open. But you know beyond that point boost is immediate.
This will work out great at the track, I have a literal break in pedal feel for when I want boost. Maybe this will help with 1st gear wheel spin. If I can get my 60ft below a 2.2:rolleyes: I may break into the 6s category in the 1/8th best so far is a 7.2 on the old small m90 setup.

Reactions: 4 users
Cool build man! I also wanted a roots blower setup with EFI but since I didn't have all the fab ability at the time, I chose to use the full Weiand 174 kit with a mostly custom throttle body injection setup, all controlled by Megasquirt 2. Your port injection modification on the weiand/b&m manifold makes me want to explore the port injection route with mine again. At the time I forwent the idea due to lack of space between the blower case and valve covers. I'm wondering if there is a way to make it happen. lol

Cool build man! I also wanted a roots blower setup with EFI but since I didn't have all the fab ability at the time, I chose to use the full Weiand 174 kit with a mostly custom throttle body injection setup, all controlled by Megasquirt 2. Your port injection modification on the weiand/b&m manifold makes me want to explore the port injection route with mine again. At the time I forwent the idea due to lack of space between the blower case and valve covers. I'm wondering if there is a way to make it happen. lol
Thanks, it was alot of work but it's totally worth it. How does it drive with the TB injection? I am trying to eek mpg out of mine right now, cruise AFR in the mid 15 range and 45* of timing.

Got pictures?

Totally a lot more work than my setup and I give you props for following through and getting it running well!

This is my heap currently.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2Forhxt2.jpg

In short, it uses MS2 with direct coil control, TBI with four 160lb injectors (PWM control in MS rather than a driver or resistors), and remote mounted stock idle valve plumbed to TBI for idle control. It runs on e85 so that valve really helps with cold starts!

I built the entire tune from scratch so although it does run and drive, it's not perfect. I'm a big stickler for driveability and chose a terrible platform to achieve stock-like driveability with so it has taken me more time than my MS2 turbo port injected car. I keep cruise AFR around 15 as well, hits boost instantly if wanted, idles fine, just needs fine tuning for crisp response on/off throttle. I'm considering installing a MAF with a precise calibration curve to see if it eases my idle/cruise tuning. I could switch to MAP above 100kpa or something if needed, though I doubt the stock supercharged fords do that, so maybe it'll work without MAP.

There also aren't a lot of TBI roots blown e85 megasquirt v8's rolling around so I haven't had a lot of luck finding experienced help. Lol Just a lot of self-teaching and trial-n-error.

Totally a lot more work than my setup and I give you props for following through and getting it running well!

This is my heap currently.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2Forhxt2.jpg

In short, it uses MS2 with direct coil control, TBI with four 160lb injectors (PWM control in MS rather than a driver or resistors), and remote mounted stock idle valve plumbed to TBI for idle control. It runs on e85 so that valve really helps with cold starts!

I built the entire tune from scratch so although it does run and drive, it's not perfect. I'm a big stickler for driveability and chose a terrible platform to achieve stock-like driveability with so it has taken me more time than my MS2 turbo port injected car. I keep cruise AFR around 15 as well, hits boost instantly if wanted, idles fine, just needs fine tuning for crisp response on/off throttle. I'm considering installing a MAF with a precise calibration curve to see if it eases my idle/cruise tuning. I could switch to MAP above 100kpa or something if needed, though I doubt the stock supercharged fords do that, so maybe it'll work without MAP.

There also aren't a lot of TBI roots blown e85 megasquirt v8's rolling around so I haven't had a lot of luck finding experienced help. Lol Just a lot of self-teaching and trial-n-error.
Pop in to my tunerstudio help thread, give me a long datalog of normal driving and a tune file I'll see what I can do to help.

Sweet, will do as soon as weather is good and I can spend some time with it. I'm liking the idea of trying a MAF as well, could be really pleasing or not work at all. lol
I have mine tuned to the point that I don't even keep my wb plugged in all the time. Car starts and drives every time no issues.

Well except for my way home today.... fuel line ruptured on the fuel rail... oops. Luckily I had a razor blade under the seat and used one of those paper binder clips as a screwdriver.

I have mine tuned to the point that I don't even keep my wb plugged in all the time. Car starts and drives every time no issues.

Well except for my way home today.... fuel line ruptured on the fuel rail... oops. Luckily I had a razor blade under the seat and used one of those paper binder clips as a screwdriver.

Nice, I had my turbo car that way before some issues came up (TFI pains). I haven't had the time to play with this blown car enough to get it that way.

Sounds like your car is serving some solid daily driver duty. Do you plan to get it to the track while the weather is cooler?

Nice, I had my turbo car that way before some issues came up (TFI pains). I haven't had the time to play with this blown car enough to get it that way.

Sounds like your car is serving some solid daily driver duty. Do you plan to get it to the track while the weather is cooler?
They just closed Lakeland dragway... was the closest track to me. I can go anytime during the year, wmeth means I don't get heat soak issues. We usually do most of our racing after 5pm down here anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you going to take this car to the track ?....would love to see what it runs...
I plan to eventually problem is time I can't seem to find time to do anything these days. Trying to get started on my shop so I can stop laying in the grass to fix things is top priority right now.
My bday is coming up in 12 days so maybe I can sneak out to the next closest track (sunshine speedway) for a pass or two. Last time I had the car out it had 3.73 gears in it, I have since swapped out to a 3.08... much better for cruising with the top down but will hurt my time for sure.