Resolved I need a guide installing a GT40P Cylinder Heads and 97 Explorer Upper/Lower Intake

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

TonyMano

Jul 10, 2023
I have a 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 | All motor component is stock besides having a mild cam.
When I am installing the intakes and cylinder heads, I want to know which part will be a bottleneck and which is fine. I also want a clear instruction on how to removing the stock intake and heads.

• Sponsors (?)

YouTube my man...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnT1MtWOpHM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K_aZQfUHQY

Lots more on there. Search "1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 mustang remove cylinder heads" or "1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 mustang remove intakes"

Without knowing what intakes and what cylinder heads you are going to install its about impossible to tell you what the bottleneck will be. You really need to know what cam is in there as the cam is the brains of the motor and you can really donk the motor up with the wrong intakes and heads. You also need to match the mass air meter, throttle body, injectors and fuel pump to the equation as well. Will also need a minimum of a 2-1/2" full exhaust and at a minimum shorty headers.

If you just want to make a little more power then toss some GT40 or better heads on it with an Explorer upper and lower, 65mm throttle body, cold air kit, and swap out the stock fuel pump for a Walbro 190 lph unit and you will have some fun.

YouTube my man...

Lots more on there. Search "1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 mustang remove cylinder heads" or "1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 mustang remove intakes"

Without knowing what intakes and what cylinder heads you are going to install its about impossible to tell you what the bottleneck will be. You really need to know what cam is in there as the cam is the brains of the motor and you can really donk the motor up with the wrong intakes and heads. You also need to match the mass air meter, throttle body, injectors and fuel pump to the equation as well. Will also need a minimum of a 2-1/2" full exhaust and at a minimum shorty headers.

If you just want to make a little more power then toss some GT40 or better heads on it with an Explorer upper and lower, 65mm throttle body, cold air kit, and swap out the stock fuel pump for a Walbro 190 lph unit and you will have some fun.

Thank you very much.

YouTube my man...

I’m installing a GT40P Cylinder Heads and 97 Ford Explorer Upper / Lower Intake. So there won’t be no bottleneck?

Ha ha ha!!! There always is a bottleneck. Google the flow rate of a 97 explorer intakes. Google the flow rate of GT40P heads. Figure out what size MAF you need and Google up an injector calculator. From there you should noodle around and figure out what size exhaust to run. Then you need to look at the air filter and piping between the MAF and throttle body. Oh, and you will need to size the throttle body.

Be sure to post up what you find out and what you plan on running.

Again, it’s all a guess until you know the cam specs but again it will make more power than what it is now.

Reactions: 1 user
Ha ha ha!!! There always is a bottleneck. Google the flow rate of a 97 explorer intakes. Google the flow rate of GT40P heads. Figure out what size MAF you need and Google up an injector calculator. From there you should noodle around and figure out what size exhaust to run. Then you need to look at the air filter and piping between the MAF and throttle body. Oh, and you will need to size the throttle body.

Be sure to post up what you find out and what you plan on running.

Again, it’s all a guess until you know the cam specs but again it will make more power than what it is now.
So I plan to do it next year or so.
Alright so I’m going to need to upgrade the #1 Fuel Pump, Mass Air Flow Sensor Cold Air Intake, Headers and what else? Hopefully not my LX Tailpipe because I love the sound of it.

Are you planning on running the stock 90 MAF? Its a 55mm and if you are running it, there's a bottleneck for sure.

I upgraded to gt40 heads upper and lower intake from a 97 ford explorer a few years back.... I also upgraded to a 70mm throttle body (I believe). I drilled and threaded bolt holes to connect the thermactor tube on the back of the heads (for CA smog) I also drilled and threaded a whole for the temp sensor on the lower intake. Other than that, everything is stock... stock intake (I was able to easily stretch it to fit the larger throttle body), stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock MAF and stock headers... from my understanding the headers are my bottleneck.

I would love to feel the car with some better headers but I will say once everything was said and done the car felt much more like beast and the exhaust tone was much deeper. Now I'm wondering if larger injectors would also give me any more gains.

I upgraded to gt40 heads upper and lower intake from a 97 ford explorer a few years back.... I also upgraded to a 70mm throttle body (I believe). I drilled and threaded bolt holes to connect the thermactor tube on the back of the heads (for CA smog) I also drilled and threaded a whole for the temp sensor on the lower intake. Other than that, everything is stock... stock intake (I was able to easily stretch it to fit the larger throttle body), stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock MAF and stock headers... from my understanding the headers are my bottleneck.

I would love to feel the car with some better headers but I will say once everything was said and done the car felt much more like beast and the exhaust tone was much deeper. Now I'm wondering if larger injectors would also give me any more gains.

Are you planning on running the stock 90 MAF? Its a 55mm and if you are running it, there's a bottleneck for sure.
I wonder what throttle body I will need than? I do know that I will need to upgrade my MAF from my answers above.

65mm TB would be fine and probably give better tip in witout tuning. Might be negligible over a 70mm though. Early Explorer TB can be converted for use.

GT40P heads
Explorer intake
convert explorer 65mm TB (early 96/97 is easier)
run the 19# explorer injectors
94/95 70MM Maf
155/190 fuel pump
headers to clear the GT40P spark plug angle

275-295 rwHP.

Reactions: 1 users
65mm TB would be fine and probably give better tip in witout tuning. Might be negligible over a 70mm though. Early Explorer TB can be converted for use.

GT40P heads
Explorer intake
94/95 70MM Maf
155/190 fuel pump

275-295 rwHP.
I agree with these recommendations fully!

GT40P heads
Explorer intake
94/95 70MM Maf
155/190 fuel pump

275-295 rwHP.
One last thing, can I transfer my current cam into that GT40P head with no issues?

GT40P heads
Explorer intake
94/95 70MM Maf
155/190 fuel pump

275-295 rwHP.
Good set up, mine is close to this + a 355 gear out back and it's a fun ride. Only unknown here is the cam. :chin

Hmm I may need to upgrade my MAF, this is exciting as it may be quick and easy power for me...
I may have a 65mm throttle body... I dont remember but will check tomorrow.

One last thing, can I transfer my current cam into that GT40P head with no issues?
I used my stock cam... no idle problems on cold start and runs smooth.

Yeah, my GT40P heads are hot tanked, magnafluxed, 3 angle valve job, new dual springs for performance cam, surfaced, new valve stems seals and new freeze plugs!
I believe I have a E303 cam judging by the way how it idles.

Last edited:

GT40P heads
Explorer intake
94/95 70MM Maf
155/190 fuel pump

275-295 rwHP.
Will the stock fox body fuel injectors work equally as good as the Explorers? Because there both 19LB.

If you are running 19# injectors, read up on 94/95 MAFs on the fox. Lot on this topic out there

That’s what I have here. Just need an adapter
D3564746-D6EE-41A5-8AC7-6B758834586F.jpeg