Mods you wish you had not made???

• Sponsors (?)

-mac tailpipes- didnt fit.
-flowmaster tailpipes- didnt fit.
-spintech side exhaust kit- sounded horrible, looked horrible
-my cobra bumper- horrible fit, cheap quality
-some misc. speaker equipment that fried very soon after i got it.
-ebay rear seat delete kit- overpriced and didnt even fit
-mac x-pipe that didnt fit/hung too low
-saleen wing for my car that was cracked and had a 1" gap just sitting on my car.
-cobra wing #1 that had the same gap issues on my hatch.

i wont add the things the prior owner did.

89CopCoupe said:
I would say the 30's are a tad large ... sure you've already tried varying fuel pressure settings .... (hijacking thread here :bang: )
yeah we are jackin this thread....the cam is a lunati 51014..very similar to trick flow's stage 1 but with a little more duration and the eddelbrock heads are the 1.90 intake ones....i just might keep the 30#'s on, maybe i'll get a blower soon, oh and yes i've tried messing with the fuel pressure, seems like it idles better at 35psi but then it goes lean at about 5000rpm so its set at 38 for now, just surges like crazy for 45 seconds when you hot start it. oh well

super302 said:
why do you regret the hood pins....you didn't put them on a stock hood did you :rlaugh:

Nope.. it's on my fiberglass inducted cowl. The secondary release has caught the hood a time or two so I figured I'd put them on before the worst happened. If I had known that I wouldn't like how they looked beforehand, I'd have come up with something besides the pins for security. Ah well... They were a functional mod and perform that function very well.

Daggar said:
Nope.. it's on my fiberglass inducted cowl. The secondary release has caught the hood a time or two so I figured I'd put them on before the worst happened. If I had known that I wouldn't like how they looked beforehand, I'd have come up with something besides the pins for security. Ah well... They were a functional mod and perform that function very well.

Which hood pins did you get? I think the Ford Racing ones look pretty good.

All the money put into my motor,( parts, driveability issues, ect..), not that I'm unhappy with the performance I've gotten, but I could save up some extra cash and would have bought a vortech, then add h/c/i. Now I'm saving for the vortech, and its taking forever.

i'd have to say shorty headers, didnt feel a difference, and cant hear much of a difference, although my times are consistantly a couple tenths faster :confused: well my 60' did drop.... also these soft aluminum gaskets i bought, thought i had an exhaust leak so spent 50 bucks on them, put them in and still had it, turns out it was a loose spark plug, DOH!

buying a cowl hood that was beat up a little bit and spending countless hours fiberglassing and sanding and refiberglassing to make it look brand new only to find out that the damn thing doesnt fit right at all

Longtubes. They slew any chance of me replacing my starter, made me have to get a new steering shaft, killed underhood space, made breaking sparkplugs the order of the day. Starter gets heatsoaked, new shaft barely rubs. At least it makes replacing the midpipe a breeze.

4.56 gears. Should have gone 4.10's or maaaaybe 4.30's. Highway cruising is interesting now even though I press on and cruise 80 mph anyways

Transgo shift kit. It slams into 4rth whenever it gets a chance and stays there regardless of throttle. Kills acceleration and I can feel the car take the hit. Dumps me into OD at 35!! I have to shift it manually and I feel like one of those ricers pretending he has MT.

Gt-40p's. They seem nice enough but for the bling and effort to port these things, getting an entire exhaust system to match the stupid straight sparkplugs, damn I should have gotten some afr 165's (basically already ported) or even edelbrocks for under $1000. Plus they're still iron. What was I thinking!

Rear disc conversion: PITA beyond all belief, mostly with adapting brakelines and almost a dozen trips to the partstore to get lines and fittings and crap to end up finding out I have to weld my parking brake handle and in the end, braking is mostly unaffected and it turns out parts for the TC rear brakes cost you your left testicle and half your right.

Jacob's ignition system, the old one when they first came out. Did nothing, cost me money.

C springs. Too hard, too low. Bottomed on everything, ride quality was nonexistant

=) The road to perfection is a long and expensive one.

I left the cats on, but removed the mufflers on my 91', and just replaced them with two pieces of straight pipe. The drone is awful at highway speeds :bang: Guess I'll be putting the mufflers back on.

crazypete said:
... I have to shift it manually and I feel like one of those ricers pretending he has MT...

... and in the end, braking is mostly unaffected and it turns out parts for the TC rear brakes cost you your left testicle and half your right ...

:rlaugh: I have piss running down my cheeks and tears in my pants after reading your list :rlaugh:

Not buying a bette car to start with.......make that the first mistake....once you realize that, the rest was all wasted money. :(

So....make sure and spend the little extra cash and pick up a NICE Car to work over, not a junk one.

mondos90lx said:
attempting to do body work myself...lol...now having it done professionally

I second that!!

Only problem is.....the shop wont be as thourough as you will. I went through and rewelded every seam, chased down every spot of rust underneath, removed all rubber plugs and perfected the frame. Then I basically ended up puking black paint all over the car so it looks like hell. I'm still "finishing block"'ing the drips off. But the frame......wow. This car will still be rust free decades from now.

First mod I ever did about 11 years ago ... k&n filtercharger. I had to order it from my local speed shop and I thought it came with the "silver thing" already on it (I soon realized that "the silver thing" was called a MAF). I had to wait a week for it to come in and then after paying the guy $150 plus tax I took my oversized k&n box home. Very excited to feel the hp of my first mod, I opened the box and realized that all I got was a gigantic cone filter and an a$$ stabbing. I looked further at the instructions and sure enough, the MAF didn't come with it. Boy ... my butt still hurts from that one. That made me wake up and research every part before buying it. Since then I've been pretty satisfied except for the Maganflow x-pipe (recently sold) .... very expensive and complete junk IMO. :mad:

SilverFoxbody said:
Not buying a bette car to start with.......make that the first mistake....once you realize that, the rest was all wasted money. :(

So....make sure and spend the little extra cash and pick up a NICE Car to work over, not a junk one.
Jeez, and I was just thinking that if I had bought a cheaper car, I would have had more money to mod it. Guess I made the right choice.