Project- 9's for 9K.. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Going to finish gutting the car out today.. We're going to head to the drag strip one more time before we yank the powertrain out for the build. Gutted, with 27x10" MT slicks.. it should easily go mid to high 11's. We'll see.. :)

Travis

Just about finished gutting the car today.. We rained out, so, I won't make it to the track until Saturday. The car is sitting on a pair of 27x10" MT's on 15"x10" AR wheels. The offset is a little goofy, but, they will work until my 2 piece forged Track Star's come in. I got a nice little sponsorship deal on my rims from a local wheel/tire shop. Just have to slap a logo on the car somewhere, and I got them at 1/2 price. :)

Anywhere.. here's a few more pics..

Project6.jpg

Project7.jpg

Project8.jpg

Project9.jpg

I'll be cleaning up the dash harness tomorrow to make it nice and neat behind the dash. I've pretty much gutted the backside of the factory dashboard, and I'll be reinstalling it loosely for the cage to be fitted next week. I need to get a bag of dry ice to crack all of the sound deadening material off of the floor panels and trunk area. After the cage is installed, We'll be taking the dash back out, taping everything up inside, and spraying a nice coat of black linoleum on the bars/interior.

More pics/video this weekend as we head out to the drag strip and see what she'll do as she sits.

Travis

It will be a custom cage, built to NHRA spec. I'm not sure how it will pan out, but, it is being built by a local shop that's bad@ss, and does a lot of chassis/cage work. I know that he's using mild steel, and it'll have 10 contact points in the car. I've asked him to tie at least 4 points in the rear to the 4 points where the upper/lower torque boxes are tack welded to the unibody. This should eliminate any issues in those areas. I'll snap pics as it's coming together, and of the finished product.

Travis

The stock clutch reared it's ugly head as the night wore on.. and I got adjusted to the new car. 2nd gear burnouts yielded some mid to high 1.7 60ft times.. but, the stock clutch wouldn't give me anything better than that. I suppose I can't complain.. 60K miles, and no telling how the previous owner treated it..

Project10.jpg

I ran the car on the highway before tossing it on the trailer, and noticed some severe detonation in 3rd/4th gear with the 12lb pulley.. so, I put the 8lb pulley back on to play it safe. Keep in mind.. I just purchased this car, and I've driven it maybe 5 miles prior to tonight.. The tune is WAY off.. with hiccups and dead spots in the midrange. Whoever tuned this car had NO idea what they were doing. I'm guessing, from the mph, that I'm somewhere around 360-370whp with the 8lb pulley installed.

Here's some footage of a few runs tonight..

http://www.fi-r.net/images2/2002Mustang/02MustangTrackNight1.wmv

I was hoping to bust into the 11's.. and if I had a better clutch, it probably would have been close.. Oh well.. we had fun, and we got a baseline for the car. Next week, the cage goes in, and the existing powertrain will be pulled.

I splurged, and bought a trickflow intake mani.. Here's a few pics with a set of 60lb injectors and rails installed. I MAY be trading my manifold and accufab TB plus cash for a 2.6H KB setup.. So this manifold might not be used.:)

Project11.jpg

Project12.jpg

Travis

Got the cage installed.. Just have to sand/paint it this weekend.

I had them add plates to backside of the upper/lower TQ boxes, and then tie that into the cage. I shouldn't have to worry about distortion in that area anymore. :)

Project21.jpg

Project22.jpg

Project23.jpg

Project24.jpg

We're prepping/painting the entire inside of the car this weekend.. I'm going with factory Ford black base coat and clear.

Travis

Sorry for letting this thread go..

I've been busy working on a few customer projects, and haven't really had time to work on my car. I do have my block/rotating assembly/heads back from the machine shop, and it's ready to assemble. I also have a Moser spool and 31 spline axles to install.. I'll be jumping back on this in the spring..

Travis