To get a bike or not to get a bike...pics.

What should I do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CanadaStang said:
I've owned a couple of Ducati's and have found them to be much nicer to look at than to ride. They have the goofy desmo valve train that is a real ***** to work on and the valves need to be adjusted regularly and the over all reliability isn't great, it seamed like I was always fixing something on them. Also the twin is underpowered compared to any of the Japan's 4 cylinder litre bikes and would be comparable to the 600's. They are also really friggen uncomfortable to ride as the long reach to the bars gets really tiring really fast, they are OK on the track but then they break if they are thrashed. Granted the newer 998's and 999's are slightly more comfortable than the 996's I had but I still think the chances of me ever buying another one are slim to none.

Man really? Damn...

IT don't matter tho. When you stand next to it while park that thing at the local hangout, it just look pure sex. Comfortable or not IMO

• Sponsors (?)

PlatinumDevil said:
Everyone always says 'ill get the bike i want instead of a beginner bike, i dont need to go fast, i can control myself" - My friend said that the start of this spring, bought a new GSXR-750, rode for 3 months, got to spend the next 3 months in a wheelchair with a shattered ankle and shin because he thought he had developed enough skill to do catwalks.

Back to my original statement:
1) No you can't. If you have a bike in the first place your an adrenaline junky and are just going to keep pushing the envelope
2)A 600cc bike will do over 120km/h in first gear.
3)A 600cc bike does not like to be revved below 2300 while in motion, it just so happens that 2300 is about 80km/h in cruise gear... have fun doing the speed limit.
4) It is impossible for me to give a bike half throttle, i hit it and i have to HIT IT, its full throttle or nothing.
5)a 600cc bike will do a stock 10 second quarter mile time, what does that mean to you? First gear lasts about .75 seconds, and at the end of that time you will be doing over 120km/h.

If you start off with anything over 600cc's your absolutely retarded and are going to die. Im sorry the statistics are overwhelming im sure.

Even a new 600 (04+) is too much bike for a beginner.

Personally i want a 2006 R6 more than anything... even more than an R1 believe it or not. I love the way the R6's handle.
I will never disagree with anything in this post alone. Live by it or learn by it...

It's your choice, hotmustang331. We can sit here and tell you all day long that if you get a 'busa that you'll kill yourself. In fact, in order for you to believe us, you'll have to experience it for yourself. Again, it's your own choice.

Take it or leave it.

EDIT: I've been riding since April 3rd, 2006. I own a Ninja 250R...only a 248cc bike. I just got up enough courage about 2 weeks ago to rev it to about 10,000rpm and pop the clutch. What happened was exactly what I anticipated, but it still scared me beyond belief. The front end popped up about a foot or two off the ground and then came back down. I try every few days to keep getting the experience. I still get scared when I do it, and I've been doing it almost every day for the past 2 weeks.

Moral of the story: If a 248cc is this scary, I'd hate to try it on a 600cc.

#3 doesnt apply to the busa :p It has a ton more torque at low RPM than a 600.

You know, everyone I have been talking to says the same thing pretty much. Iv also been looking up statistics and read the whole TX DOT motorcycle manual (28 pages).

From what iv seen,

getting a 250-600 isnt really going to protect me from other people vs a busa

Nearly 50% of all motorcycle accedents involved a rider that had been drinking

50,000 riders crashed last year, but 2200 died

From what im seeing here, is that with a hayabus vs a 250, the most thing I have to fear is myself. Anyone else fell the same?

I think a 250 would probably be about the best first bike as its not very fast...a 600 is still crazy fast and can get you into trouble just as quick as a busa. Although I think you should get a used one and sell it after about a year and then move up to a busa :D

Ill sell you my 06gsxr 600. I started out on it 4-5 months ago and its just amazing, but with a bad shoulder and some financial problems i have to sell it. only 1411 miles on it. I've raced a 600rr and a 600 f4i and beat them both. Its pretty fast, does 82mph in 1st gear and they say about 175 topped out.

EDIT: I've been riding since April 3rd, 2006. I own a Ninja 250R...only a 248cc bike. I just got up enough courage about 2 weeks ago to rev it to about 10,000rpm and pop the clutch. What happened was exactly what I anticipated, but it still scared me beyond belief. The front end popped up about a foot or two off the ground and then came back down. I try every few days to keep getting the experience. I still get scared when I do it, and I've been doing it almost every day for the past 2 weeks.

Moral of the story: If a 248cc is this scary, I'd hate to try it on a 600cc.[/QUOTE]

man up and hit the damn gas
ive been riding db and quads since 10 but a street bike for 3 months and hold my bike up from 40-100 switchin first to second all day... :nono: i know im an idiot
but like everyone says its just so damn addicting and the bike just wants to go go go

topless98gt said:
I will never disagree with anything in this post alone. Live by it or learn by it...

It's your choice, hotmustang331. We can sit here and tell you all day long that if you get a 'busa that you'll kill yourself. In fact, in order for you to believe us, you'll have to experience it for yourself. Again, it's your own choice.

Take it or leave it.

Moral of the story: If a 248cc is this scary, I'd hate to try it on a 600cc.
yea cody a 600 with do more than you need. Heck ive had mine for 5 months wrecked it once already. But i havent gotten near the limits heck i still havent floored 1st yet lol. half throttle it stands up on me. And first gear does onlly last about 3 seconds cause mine goes to i think 75 and then shift to second when you see that shift light and then almost immediately shift 3rd after that and you seriously bang through gears rapidly. oh and 2nd goes 105. I think you would have more fun on a 600 anyways cause its lighter and shorter as in length so its easier to whip it around corners or changing lanes for that matter. Busas drive almost like a lengthened bike. Heck and a 636 tops I think at 170. Ive seen speedos going up to 186 on a 636 but thats indictated the actual speed is around 170. Just dont kill yourself man im sure your gonna love driving your newly TT GT so dont kill urself on a bike cause you may never drive it again.

Haha if you think a 250cc is scary, try doing a catwalk on a 49cc. :p

haha my pocket bike is a blast, does 62mph (102km/h), and picks the front end up at full speed if you let off and flick it to full throttle, 62mph on one wheel when your a foot and a half off the ground is damn scary! especially when you come down from the catwalk and the bolt holding your handlebar snaps... I just put both feet on the ground and hoped that i'd have enough tread on my shoes to survive until i stopped. But after about 15 feet i stabilized the bike, and got my feet back onto the pegs and coasted to a stop, since both brakes were on the handlebars (no clutch, so the back brakes in the place of the clutch...).
No nightmares on my streetbike yet, aside from millions of people constantly nearly sideswiping me as people dont shouldercheck. but i imagine ill have one someday.

I think almost all bikes are very sensitive in 1st gear. Even my 250 nighthawk was very touchy, and a little too much throttle can easily knock you off balance.

Hotmustang... I must disagree that a Busa vs. 250 ismostly about the fear you have. I guarantee you will be able to handle a 250 much better in an emergency situation vs. the Busa being a new rider. A light bike is much more nimble for a newbie rider...and trust me, you'll want to learn how to swerve that bike from side to side. You should be able to swerve about 6-8 feet to the side within a matter of going 10 feet forward without losing control of the bike, unless of course its wet.

Oh, and a 250 Ninja or something, even if you buy one brand new, in a year or two, it is still worth most of its value. 250's are hard to find, and there's a big market for used ones since most ppl like to start on a smaller cheaper bike.

spederman said:
Also, full coverage insurance is CRAZY expensive on sport bikes. Esp, busas. I have been riding and had my MC license for 14 years and clean driving record and it was still between 2-3K a year each. It just wasnt worth it. My insurance payments were more than the bike payments combined.

not to hijack the thread..........

thats not true. I pay less than 35 dollars a month for full coverage, for 20/40. hell my bike and car come out to like 170 a month.

on topic:

busa = bad first bike. hell anything over a 600 is generally a bad idea for a first bike. busa's dont turn well, theres no point in owning one because if youre anywhere near the powerband in 5th or 6th youre either running from the cops or lost your mind. in either case youre gonna die. if you had been riding for 10 years might be a different story. best choice, get a used 600 and then ride for a couple years, then get something nice. AND GET FRAME SLIDERS THE DAY YOU BUY IT. I cant stress that enough. A group I ride with.....yesterday a guy who bought a brand new 07 R1, first bike, had it 3 days and went canyon carving. was braking inside a turn like a newb and high sided it. frame sliders would have saved him a grand in parts and theyre only 50 bucks.

hotmustang331 said:
^ Link? Somone else was telling me about pegs that would prevent damage if it was layed over. I hope they arent noticable.

Love the avatar BTW :drool:

thanks. the only way they could do that was if they were immovable... ie... not springloaded. I have yet to see them but then I've never looked for them. you can however get sliders that fit on your swingarm and that will create a two point connection so that your pegs and whatever else stays intact.

frame sliders are fairly noticable but do not look bad. i wanted to put them for my bike but i plan on selling it asap for a ltr450 but they make them to colormatch your frame color. i know a guy that started on a ninja 250 and rode it for a couple months than traded it for $100 less than he paid for it on a cbr600rr and regrets it everyday. He says that my gsxr is 100 times more comfortable for him being a bigger guy and i can pull on him like nothing. Also, i can floor it in all gears and mine will rarely pull up the wheel. Let me know if u want to buy it lol.

mineralgray2002 said:
frame sliders are fairly noticable but do not look bad. i wanted to put them for my bike but i plan on selling it asap for a ltr450 but they make them to colormatch your frame color. i know a guy that started on a ninja 250 and rode it for a couple months than traded it for $100 less than he paid for it on a cbr600rr and regrets it everyday. He says that my gsxr is 100 times more comfortable for him being a bigger guy and i can pull on him like nothing. Also, i can floor it in all gears and mine will rarely pull up the wheel. Let me know if u want to buy it lol.
yes indeed get frame sliders i wish i had them on my 636 cause then it wouldnt have gotten quite as banged up on the left side from my little spill. And when someone pushed it over in the walmart parking lot when it was 2 weeks old i wouldnt have gotten scratches on the right side. That really pissed me off when i come out of walmart after literally 10 minutes to find my bike laying on the ground. I was furious cause it was only 2 weeks old and barely had over 1k on it. Yes i know i rode it a lot lol I put 4100 on it in about 2 months of owning it.

I started out on a FZR-600. It was plenty fast for me at the time. It ran 12 flat in the 1/4 mile, by me, and by several other experienced drag racers I let take it down the track. 11.96 was the lowest I ever got it to.
I had no prob starting out on a 600, but my buddy back home with the same exact bike wrecked it his 3rd day riding by giving too much throttle and wheelie-ing off the back. It's all about how you ride, and I've always found that the phrase, "Respect the power" can be the difference between having a fun ride, or being scraped off the road by the EMT's.

My bike these days is a Ninja ZX-6R, and it's plenty fast for me. I can still blow away basically every car on the road if I need to (with some exceptions, obviously,) carve corners if I feel like it, or just ride around and enjoy 50+mpg.