Explorer install update and pics...

Hey Rio what are you going to do with that intake Tom ported for you, i want to pick that up from you if you are going to sell it. I can't wait to see what kind of gains you get with that explorer intake, i really like the look of the intake itself.

Good Luck,

jason

p.s. i will be tearing down the top end of my motor this weekend as well due to head gaskets. Gonna get rid of the exhaust bumps and shave the heads .035 and myabe i'll pick up a few ponies while i am at it

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, my intake does it too - they all do as far as I know. The PCV and EGR are putting that crap in there. I'd like to find a well engineered way to keep it out too. I think the PCV has to be the biggest contributor.

mytight95...It'll be off and ready to go this weekend...its gasketmatched all around including the TB opening to a FMS 65....I'll keep you in mind...gotta keep my custom Saltwaterfish plaque tho.... :nice: thats going on the wall...

Posted at Corner Carvers for some input on the oil in the ports...
Here's a response that sheds some light on it...

alot of what you are seeing is reversion. It's just oil and combustion products that tend to enter the intake manifold during engine shut down, past an open intake valve. It is especially noticable on an engine using a longer duration cam. As long as oil doesn't puddle in the inlet tract, there is nothing to worry about. If you think you are getting oil through the PCV, try routing the PCV hose straight up for about 8" before connecting it to the manifold. This should allow any oil that is being carried by the incoming air to fall out of suspension, and return to the valley area. Or the old inline filter trick will also trap oil.

Jason...Got it.. :nice:

RIO5.0 said:
Mac adapter..all i can say is WOW...this thing must have be casted in East Mongolia or something...it was downright horrendous....this pic doesn't even do it justice...

Rio,

Is the MAC adapter needed or will a stock elbow/TB do for now?

I am looking at getting a similar intake combo and need advise, thanks.

Eric

eap95GT..if your swapping over to any a/market, cobra, or explorer, your going to need and intake adapter...your stock one is not removable, its casted as once pc...your stock TB can be used, mostly anything other than stock is opened to a 65 or bigger TB...

the Mac unit doesn't have the best surface, thats for sure, but it can be fixxed by grinding the roughness out...all the holes for EGR, and throttle cables, and the TB lined up perfectly, no complaints there...and i was sweating that too..all my parts (bolt holes) fit and line up as the should...so that part is good...i paid like 45.00 shipped for it...their 70.00 new and the FRPP one is like 120.00, so they ain't cheap...i do know someone who has an Edelbrock one for sale if your in the market or just rounding the stuff your gonna need...

RIO5.0 said:
eap95GT..if your swapping over to any a/market, cobra, or explorer, your going to need and intake adapter...your stock one is not removable, its casted as once pc...your stock TB can be used, mostly anything other than stock is opened to a 65 or bigger TB...

the Mac unit doesn't have the best surface, thats for sure, but it can be fixxed by grinding the roughness out...all the holes for EGR, and throttle cables, and the TB lined up perfectly, no complaints there...and i was sweating that too..all my parts (bolt holes) fit and line up as the should...so that part is good...i paid like 45.00 shipped for it...their 70.00 new and the FRPP one is like 120.00, so they ain't cheap...i do know someone who has an Edelbrock one for sale if your in the market or just rounding the stuff your gonna need...

I will get back to you on the Edelbrock. I have to buy the intake first, hopefully an early Christmas for me... :D

Its up and running...SWEET...started on the first crank...i love it when that happens.. :D

my first impression was ok, it runs better...took it for a small hoot, not really stomping in it cause i put the Scorpions 1.6s on it to...came back home and checked the timing, it was low so i set that to 14, which was the dyno sweet spot...took it back ok, hit the end of the driveway and something was wack..oh ya, the spout, forget to plug it in....took it around the block and came back and told my bud to jump in...we beat it up some and OH YA, its way stronger down low...which is were the 19 lost me some ground...this seems to have brought the low end around...the S.O.T.P. meter says its stronger all around, but 2nd gear is way hairy...i hit 3k and banged 2nd and holy chit, she come way sideways and smoke em bout 80 feet fishtailing all the way...we both went W.T.F. was that... :D
I think some EEC learn time and it'll be dyno time again...i didn't even check the F/P and left it at 38, where it was....i'll do a plug check tommorrow as i think i may be at maxxing out the 19 lbr's...
Weird, but my exhaust note has completely changed...it used to be really crisp and now it sound totally different, actually quieter??? Tmoss told me i might loose some lowend torque, but it appears to be crisper down low...comes alive way quicker...

anyway...so far so good...the Explorer seems to work just fine...even clears my hood with the blanket still on there... :nice:

RIO5.0 said:
Tmoss told me i might loose some lowend torque, but it appears to be crisper down low...comes alive way quicker...anyway...so far so good...the Explorer seems to work just fine...even clears my hood with the blanket still on there... :nice:

Good to hear!!! The reason I left the head flange opening stock size was to keep that low end response as much as possible. We'll see how the dyno turns out.

Jesse...I scammed them in the forum classifieds....i needed longer pushrods to rum em...i had to shim the drivers side .020, as that was the head that got hammered...the pass side went with just the longer pushrods with the exception of #1 needing the .020 shims also...took some time to tweak em all in the same..
I'm gonna call this week for an appt to dyno it..hopefully he'll squeeze me in...

thats great to hear RIO.

i guesse the steeda 19 goes good with the cobra/explorer intakes.

if i can find a cheap explorer intake locally, i wouldn't think twice to get it.

cant wait to see what the dyno has to say.

i cant beleive your still using the stock maf/tb/injectors and making that kind of power.

:nice:

Well i been running the set-up for 3 days and so far i like it.....takes me a few days to feel out whats changed, and i believe in EEC learn time. Car seems to be running stronger... i definately got some low end back and the top end pull seems strong to...runs right up to 5500 no prob and its smooth with no hiccups or such...On the way home theres a nice 1/4 stretch and i got to run it up thru the gears and hey, i thought it felt strong and made me nod, and smile, and it sounded damn sweet to....love that cam... :D Makes such a dif in the tone of the motor...
the weathers gonna blow right thru the wknd so no time to drive it and dyno this week...if the snow holds off, i'll shoot for next week....with the Scorpions and the intake i had to gain something...

As far as the swap goes, its pretty tit actually, with minor money spent for gaskets, and oh ya, the elbow, everything else lined up...i run tall VCs and they kinda screwed me with both sides needing some massaging...stock VCs would not be an issue for either side...new vac lines have to be figured out and run...good time to replace all the lines for leak free probs...i did find on loose line tonite, the one that went to the charcoal can...she may have been sucking some there??? fixed that mofo, no problem..
I set my F/P to 42, 14 deg timing, deleted my EGR, and it runs the balls...i pulled codes tonite to see whats up and got only 2, thats pretty good for what many consider the sucky computer, never mind the mods i have in it...this is why i decided to get a tweecer over the winter..i just got the laptop, so i'm good to go there..
i pulled these codes 4 times over...pass code / 27 /32..thats it...the 27 is VSS sensor and that must be cause of the 355s??? the 32 was EGR. my homey set-up popped off and the plunger was fully out or off...so things are cool with the EEC side of the swap...So all in all, not a bad little mod....the numbers will tell better what its worth. I have 24s going on over the winter to boot...we'll see what those add in the Spring...
Git a few pics to add so its all in this post...Gonna paint it up over winter, so its kinda stank sanded here and there..

Attachments

• Explorer installed.jpg
    Explorer installed.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 213
The vac line routing....had to use all the ports with the exception of one that i blocked with a bolt and some RTV...

Edit...on the PCV...i opted to run 8" of line, this will put a "lift" to that line and possibly keep the oil from getting into the intake, thought being the height will suspened it and let the oil fall back versus heading to the intake...remember the "oil mist" in my ports. before this was a level line to the intake...seen this suggested and thought i'd try it out...

Attachments

• Ex final vac route.jpg
    Ex final vac route.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 214