StangNet '11 5.0 Notch Project

• Sponsors (?)

Posted a blog today getting everyone up to speed!

Project ‘Built to Cruise’ Update | StangNet

attachment.php

When you guys test fitted the 5.0 motor. Did you have to touch the Shock towers or Firewall at all?

Also if the Power sterring is such an issue. Why not just go with a Manual Rack & Pinion and call it a day. Then you get to keep the A/C also.

I really want to do this swap myself. I'm just trying to find the right Donor car. Also What trans are you running. Do you guys think the New 5.0 motor and 6 speed trans would fit.

On my project I would like to do a Notch, New 5.0 Motor, 6 speed trans (Manual if it fits), and an 03/04 Cobra IRS. Not looking for a racecar just a fun car.

JKstang,

As for power steering, manual was/is an option, BUT to run brakes you need a Hydraboost system which requires a pump solution, as the old vacuum booster is to big and wont allow the engine to fit.

We talked with KRC Power Steering last week, they are designing a pump and bracket to be used with the new 5.0 engine and will allow the use of the A/C, so that solution should be rectified in Feb. ;)

We are going to run a Tremec TKO500 since we had one NIB sitting in our shop. The new engine uses the same bolt pattern, etc as the 4.6, so you can run any setup like 4.6 bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and plate.

Now sure what it would take to use the new 2011 tranny but I know its a hydraulic type setup, and probably more money than needed for results.

Hope to post updates this week, we have the new K-member in and our fuel setup planned, so it's time to turn some wrenches!!

Mike

JKstang,

As for power steering, manual was/is an option, BUT to run brakes you need a Hydraboost system which requires a pump solution, as the old vacuum booster is to big and wont allow the engine to fit.

We talked with KRC Power Steering last week, they are designing a pump and bracket to be used with the new 5.0 engine and will allow the use of the A/C, so that solution should be rectified in Feb. ;)

We are going to run a Tremec TKO500 since we had one NIB sitting in our shop. The new engine uses the same bolt pattern, etc as the 4.6, so you can run any setup like 4.6 bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and plate.

Now sure what it would take to use the new 2011 tranny but I know its a hydraulic type setup, and probably more money than needed for results.

Hope to post updates this week, we have the new K-member in and our fuel setup planned, so it's time to turn some wrenches!!

Mike

Thanks for all the Cool info Mike. So from what I take is. That the motor will fit in between the stock shock towers and firewall as long as you change the brake master/vac booster. I also keep forgetting that the newer mustang have Hydraulic clutchs on them.

Thanks again Jason

Hey planning on doing this swap myself, just wondering about a few things like this p/s bracket that KRC is fabbing, will this use like 05 and up a/c compressors or will it be more steered towards swaps and use older SN-95 stuff. Would love to get started but with all the waiting for stuff like headers, x-pipes and k-member to go on the market, dont really see any sense in starting until those are on the market for sale. Just want to say that i really appreciate all the information your giving and time your taking to make sure parts will be readily available as well. Im planning on doing a interior swap to the 99-04 interiors, so once i get started i will try to give updates on wiring issues and stuff to the newer clusters. :nice:

The KRC setup will be a self contained bracket that will allow use of all components that will match up to the block. The A/C location is left alone, I have not tried to bolt up a 99-04 compressor that we have on the shelf, not sure if the patterns are the same are not as what comes on the 2011.. so for sure whatever the 11 runs that A/C will fit.

I had asked them about making a bracket that would use all the SN95 stuff, but KRC has their owned designed pump that will be used, which I have been told it is a nice piece of hardware. They use these pumps in NASCAR and you are able to tune the pressure, etc.

All the parts are in the pipeline, so we figure by the end of February you will be able to buy any and all you will need to complete the swap.

It has taken us longer than we would like to complete the project, but we wanted to be sure that what we do, YOU can do and took our time and worked with many aftermarket companies to make sure parts for the swap were made available.

Mike

Now if these pics don't get you motivated... :)

Been getting some good work done and thought I would throw the wheels on to check wheel spacing. RIDE HEIGHT is NOT set, there is not enough weight in the car yet to start that process but this shows you the look of the car. All the trim pieces you see are all new.

I'm actually starting to get excited, it's been such a long R&D process and we are now starting to put parts on to leave on! :

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9537.jpg
    DSC_9537.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 854
  • DSC_9538.jpg
    DSC_9538.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 831
Latest Update:

BTC Update: Coming Along Nice - StangNet' Built to Cruise

Built to Cruise is coming along. All the exterior trim has been completed... all new parts; accept for one rear quarter driver side window, as you can no longer get the Carlite rear quarter windows. The used one we picked up is almost new, thank goodness. Every exterior piece of BTC has been replaced with all new parts, giving our Fox restoration a very clean and new look.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fuel
We have completed our fuel setup for the 5.0 swap, all we need to do is connect the fuel lines to the pressure regulator and to the engine fuel rail, but this will happen once we do a final bolt in of the engine. Currently we have no plans to boost or heavily modify the new 2011 5.0 engine and because of that we were able to retain the stock fuel lines that run from the fuel tank up to the engine bay. We obtained a new OEM style fuel tank (our old one leaked) from Late Model Restoration. We also replaced the fuel level sending unit and we chose the HighFlow Performance 255Lph intank fuel pump (part # HFP-340). This should be enough fuel flow for our setup and allows us to keep the in-tank setup and we were not forced to mount an external pump. We also replaced our fuel filter while we were at it. The new 5.0 engine is not a fuel return style engine and Ford Racing configured the Control Pak they offer to work with a return type system (keeps the programming and configurations simpler). To handle the fuels return, we chose the Professional Products Fuel Regulator (part # PP-10671) which is setup for an EFI system and has a return line fitting built into the regulator. We modified the stock lines to connect to the fuel regulator with various fittings and we also picked up a Dorman 3/8" Quick Connector, which will allow us to connect to the factory fitting on the fuel rail using EFI fuel hose. You can pick one of these up at any parts house (part # 800-055).

Booster
With this new 5.0 and like any other modular engine being swapped in to an early FOX Mustang requires more room. One of the things in the way is the old vacuum type booster in the Fox. It takes up to much room so it has to go. We want power brakes and plan to run power steering so we obtained a factory mustang hydra hoost setup that you can find in the SN95 cars. To mount this booster required removing the alignment stud and elongated the top left bolt hole in the firewall to the right about ¼”. We also raised the diameter of the main hole through the firewall to give more clearance for the snout and boot on the booster. To get the new boosters brake rod to mate with our stock brake pedal, we removed the pedal from the car and moved the connecting pin up 1” (center on center). To do this, we ground off the weld holding the pin in place, knocked it out and drilled a new hole, hammered in the rod and welded the back side in place. Now we have a stock fox brake pedal that will work with an SN95 booster and we didn’t have to do what some do and cut off the rod from the old vacuum booster and weld in back to the new booster. Removing this pedal is not for the weak of heart. Our dash was out so it made it much easier for us. The engine bay is now ready to accept the new 5.0 engine. We will be running the plumbing for the new brakes soon so stay tuned for that.

Suspension
The BTC’s front suspension is complete. We installed the newly designed J&M K-member which was designed to accept the new 5.0 engine or any modular engine. It is also designed to accept factory control arms or they can accept tubular arms which will be ready soon from J&M for those wishing. We are going with coil overs up front but they will have one designed with spring perches for those wishing to run McPherson struts and springs. The suspension setup of BTC was planned around our Fox 5-lug conversion.

The setup is as follows:

J&M K-Member for Modular Engines
Ford Racing Early FOX Lower Control Arms
99-04 Spindles (1 new, 1 used)
(use of late model spindles on early fox arms requires a .330 spacer, we used some that were a little taller as required to secure the Fox castle nut and cotter pin)
99-04 Hubs (ABS or Non ABS will work)
Koni Double Adjustable Struts
Maximum Motorsports Coil Over Kit
Vogtland 300# Coil Over Springs
J&M Caster Camber Plates

This should make for a killer handling in BTC but also give us daily driver type comfort and stability.

Power Steering
We are in contact with KRC Power Steering who is working with Ford Racing to supply anyone who is doing a 5.0 conversion with a power steering pump solution. The new 2011 Mustangs have electric power steering so there is no factory pump solution. KRC is designing a bracket to accept their all new KRC Revolution power steering pump and locate it so as to keep the stock A/C and Alternator positions. This will be a great solution for everyone doing a 5.0 swap in to any vehicle. This setup will power the FOX power steering rack and the new Hydra Booster we installed. We expect to have this new setup not long from now.

Headers
We are currently waiting on BBK to send us their newly designed headers exclusively for the 2011 5.0 swap into FOX Body Mustangs (79-04). These are long tube headers with full 1 ¾” primaries like the factory headers. They are also building newly designed X pipes with or without cats to mate up to their new 5.0 headers. They are 3” in design but the ball connection on the exit end will be 2.5” to mount to all popular 2.5” catbacks. We expect to be bolting these in place and starting the wiring of the new engine about the middle of February.

Hood Struts
Another cool new part we will be installing is Mustang Racing Technologies new early FOX hood struts. These will allow us to show off the new engine by popping the hood and raising it up smooth and staying in place without have to clank around with the factory prop rod. Finally a solution for us our SN95 buddies have had for years.

Till next time!!

Sources:
Ford Racing http://www.fordracingparts.com
Late Model Restoration Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts at Latemodel Restoration Supply
J&M Products HotPart Suspension Products
HighFlow Performance Walbro 255 Fuel Pump : Walbro 255LPH : Performance Fuel Pumps : Cheap Fuel Pump : Discount Fuel Pump : Ford : Chevy : Chevrolet : Range Rover : Dodge Ram
KRC Power Steering KRC Home Page
BBK Performance BBK: BBK Performance Parts
Vogtland .:: Vogtland Sport Suspension ::.
Mustang Racing Technologies Aftermarket Performance Parts for Mustang, Camaro, Fusion, Truck - MRT Direct

Attachments

• btc-update_8.jpg
    btc-update_8.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 800
  • btc-update_5.jpg
    btc-update_5.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 783
The pedal on this control pak is a little different that the one that came with the 3V control paks.

It looks like it might even mount to the stock location holes of the original pedal, IF you cut off the right side tab. I am still debating how I want to do this one.

As for Push to Start, we are thinking about using the ISIS Power system and it has a way for us to do a Push to Start, or if the PCM has this, maybe we can tap in to it via the ISIS.

ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System - Automotive Wiring Harnesses, Car Wire Harness, Engine Wiring Harness, Auto Wiring Harness, Truck Wiring Harness, Car Wiring Kits

Mike

Very cool. Be warned I had a heck of a time trying to get the engine in with the bellhousing, it was a no go. I had to pull it off and will put it back on when the headers get in and see which has to go first. ;)