Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

It clearly isn't supposed to fit in the box.

Attachments

• 20190802_180614.jpg
    20190802_180614.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Sponsors (?)

The email I just sent to Rock Auto. Un-believable!

I anxiously arrived home today hoping to finish the front rotor install on my car. I had already confirmed the front door arrival of my two "18A964A" rotors, but was shocked when I opened the box and saw two completely different rotors despite the packing list indicating two "18A964A" rotors. This is now the second time I've received a 14.5" rotor which coincidentally is useless to me as I can't even install it on my car's hub if I wanted to. I now have one correct 13" rotor and one 14.5" which I can't use. I'm requesting that you mail me a single 13" diameter rotor for a 2003 or 2004 Supercharged Cobra (part number 18A964A) as soon as possible (overnight would be preferred). This is my first interaction with Rock Auto and I spent more than $700. I understand mix ups, but why ANYONE would ship two completely different sized rotors with the same part number when they are visibly different from each other and having different weights is beyond me. I've attached photos to confirm my statements.

That’s terrible...... let’s see what they do from here!! I say it’s time they start putting some money back in your pocket for all the aggravation. They should just give you the rotors at this point.

Ya, I'm not very happy with Rock Auto. I bought 10+ items from them. 9 of them were trouble free. The 10th item had to be replaced twice and it was misidentified AND packaged with an obviously different rotor but with the same part number. I went ahead and ordered another 18A964A but through Amazon. I dont want to risk receiving another 14.5" '03-'04 Cobra rotor.

You don't want 96-04 spindles. Look for 94-95 on ebay. All the calipers and brackets , master can all be bought on rock auto. Axles can be bought separate too. E brake cables can be bought separate as well as all the brake line parts MM makes.

A little home work you can have all that stuff ordered from separate places.

5 Lug swap list

-94-95 spindles

-5 Lug axles ( i used moser foxbody length with 99-04 disc flange to keep fox track width)

-Master cyl ( see notes)

-Booster 93 cobra

-Cobra calipers(front)

-13inch rotors (front)

• 94-04 gt calipers (rear)
  • 94-04 gt rotors (rear )
  • 99-04 rear gt backing plates north race cars or cobra backing plates depending on what rotor you want to use

Maximum MOTORSPORTS parts

-Front brake line kit - MMBK8F

-Rear brake line kit - MMBK13R

-Adjustable Prop valve - BPV-1

-Stock prop valve disable plug - MM-2450-A

-93 cobra booster ( keeps threads the same for the hardware ) - a1 cardone - 5473155

-North racecars rear caliper brackets for use with sn95 gt calipers . Cobra and gt caliper is the same cobra would accept bigger rotor . You want the small rotor so you can get 15 inch wheel on at the track .

-Parking brake cable- center (50resto)- M2810a

Rear cables - (50resto) - LRS-2635D

"If you run the 13inch rotors with cobra calipers up front you will need 94-95 cobra master cyl -15/16th bore p/n- BMC-4 with MMBAK-8 adapters to tie into factory hard line " ( Max Motorsport part numbers )

If you run 99-04 gt dual piston front caliper so you can run a 15 inch wheel up front you would run 93 cobra master cyl ( 1inch bore) -BMC-2 with line adapter kit MMBAk-3 (max Motorsport part numbers )
Is this in the big 5 lug swap thread?

By Cobra calipers, rotors, etc, do you mean 93 Cobra or 96+. I'm assuming 93 since you said to skip to SN95 spindles.

The Amazon sourced 18A964A will be here on Monday. The rotor itself is $2 cheaper and includes free shipping so overall it's some $30 cheaper. I'm going to see if I can still bleed the brakes with the caliper just resting on the 14.5" rotor. I think I'll open a new return claim and mail it back to Rock Auto on Monday. An alignment will have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm probably done with Rock Auto as there's no excuse for this second incident (same part number, same shipping boxes, clearly different rotors). It's also very annoying that Rock Auto does all communication via email/no phone. This drags out the return/replacement process.

Just bolt the Caliper on and stick a block of wood between the pads. I've done that a few times when I've had to tilt calipers vertically while bleeding to get the air out. With the bleeder open not much clamping pressure is generated

Reactions: 1 user
Just bolt the Caliper on and stick a block of wood between the pads. I've done that a few times when I've had to tilt calipers vertically while bleeding to get the air out. With the bleeder open not much clamping pressure is generated
I'm tracking and I appreciate it. I just spent three hours finishing the MC install and assemblying and finishing the pax side soft line connection AND connecting the driver side hard/soft connection. ALL that remains is installing the new/correct driver side rotor/caliper, torquing the caliper and bleeding the system. It should be on the road Tuesday at the latest.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm tracking and I appreciate it. I just spent three hours finishing the MC install and assemblying and finishing the pax side soft line connection AND connecting the driver side hard/soft connection. ALL that remains is installing the new/correct driver side rotor/caliper, torquing the caliper and bleeding the system. It should be on the road Tuesday at the latest.
awesome. Told you the master booster part would be fun . Lol

Unless you’re smoking the same thing this seller is, here is what NOT to pay to start your 5 lug conversion parts collection. Wow!

Unless you’re smoking the same thing this seller is, here is what NOT to pay to start your 5 lug conversion parts collection. Wow!
All junkyard sourced I bet.

3 of the 4 wheels and tires are installed. Brakes are bled. No air remaining and no leaks. I even remembered to adjust the proportioning valve afterwards. Brakes are very strong while testing by hand. The last rotor should arrive tomorrow. Very quick install and then a leisurely test around my neighborhood followed by an alignment the following day. Assuming all goes well it will be roadworthy Tuesday.

I should mention that I used a rectangular sanding stone to fill the space in the caliper between the pads. Worked perfectly.
20190804_140957.jpg
20190804_141010.jpg
20190804_141103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users