Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing with parts. Sucks I don’t have room in the garage to bring the SN inside to do the front end work. The fox will not get booted from the garage. I’ll need to get this done in the driveway.

Playing with parts. The Mm tool. It just gives you a point to lever the spring in place.

IMG_5096.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

So here’s a photo that is interesting. Fox vs sn95 control arms.

We all know the sn95 arms are 3/4” wider, but what gets overlooked is the spring perch also moves outboard slightly. It’s enough that the motion ratio due to mechanical advantage is improved enough that the SN95 can run lighter springs that its fox counterparts, which provides a smoother ride.

Front fox stock springs were 425-530 lbs. SN95 GTs were 450# stock springs.

It’s the same concept as to why good coil-overs ride rather well.

IMG_5097.jpeg
IMG_5098.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
We all know the sn95 arms are 3/4” wider, but what gets overlooked is the spring perch also moves outboard slightly. It’s enough that the motion ratio due to mechanical advantage is improved enough that the SN95 can run lighter springs that its fox counterparts, which provides a smoother ride.

So, does a Fox benefit from running SN95 control arms or is it a mismatch due to the spring perch positions?

I tried some QA1 SN95 control arms on my Fox. I had relocated my control arm mount points inward 0.5" and I found it moved the bottom of my wheels too far out. I did have '96-04 spindles as well. Look at the wheel to fender distance/spacing in the below pics. Only change was SN control arm vs Fox control arm.

IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1447.JPG

I tried some QA1 SN95 control arms on my Fox. I had relocated my control arm mount points inward 0.5" and I found it moved the bottom of my wheels too far out. I did have '96-04 spindles as well. Look at the wheel to fender distance/spacing in the below pics. Only change was SN control arm vs Fox control arm.

IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1447.JPG

It looks like you gained a ton of camber. It tucks into the wheel well nice... How is it on your tires?

I went with the Fox control arms. Stock alignment specs. Ran those tires for 4 years and about 15,000 km. Still have them and would run them another 15,000 km in a heart beat. No issues.

If I kept the SN arms I would have a big tire lean just to clear the fenders. Not my style.

Reactions: 1 user
So, does a Fox benefit from running SN95 control arms or is it a mismatch due to the spring perch positions?

It adds a lot of camber because the top strut mount remains fixed on the fox cars. Some fox k-members are narrower though.

It’s a deep topic which I don’t know all the details. But the longer arms and sting cups being further out is one trick ford used to get these cars to ride a little better than their fox brethren

Wrapped up the hydroboost hose. Simplified the fittings for less connections/failure points. Need to fire up the engine and bleed it.

More parts for the new edge.

IMG_5233.jpeg
IMG_5263.jpeg

While inspecting…

IMG_5262.jpeg

Hmm. Mexico?

Crawl under my fox. Same part number in the back
IMG_5260.jpeg

MM recommends the SN95 dampers on the rear of the Foxes as they have internal bump stops built into them or at least that is what I remember as it’s Jenn a minute since I installed them in my cars.

I know. Along
MM recommends the SN95 dampers on the rear of the Foxes as they have internal bump stops built into them or at least that is what I remember as it’s Jenn a minute since I installed them in my cars.

That's where i got these all. I don't even think they sell the fox specific version.

I discovered all 4 of my OEM shocks are blown. Was wondering why it felt like i was driving on a cloud. After some wheel hop over broken pavement i decided to do the push test and these shocks are junk. Hence, expediting the Bilstein purchase. I got a big parts pile that needs to go on now. But the most i chip away at this SN95, the better it runs and drives.

Upside is i have a 4-day weekend. Hopefully i can bang some of this out AND take the fox for a nice fall cruise.

I also think i'm gonna bite the bullet and purchase the MS3 plug and play setup. I know i built an MS3X box for this car, but I don't think i'm going to take advantage of every feature, plus I like the idea of plug and play in terms of reliability. I trust my work, but I trust a mass-produced (kinda) machine built ECU more. I want to plug it in, hook up my widebands, and start tuning.

I'll hang onto my MS3X box for now.

Reactions: 2 users
For a driver it’s ok. I’m not in love with it, but I like it.

If the color scheme was more appealing I’d probably be done for keeping it. Red with black interior/top.

Need to find a good day to get the front end work done, and install the lowering springs. Every time I walk up to this car I can’t help but laugh at how comincally high it is.

Anyway. Day I bought it.

IMG_3946.jpeg

Today

IMG_5300.jpeg

I don’t want to leave the polished wheels on for as nice as they look. Those wheels are probably a 9.75 out of 10. I want them off the car before too much wear and tear. I’m likely going to run my Bullitt wheels as I love those on the new edge cars, but they are the perfect shape for a driver. In other words one more curb ding won’t matter on them.

Still have the starfish wheels. Haven’t decided to sell or keep them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.