Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok dug em out. I was mistaken. These are Mach 1 springs. The difference being the ride height changed in 2003 and ford lifted all the models up about 1/4”.

So I may cut 1/8 coil off the front. I think the rear springs are the same, but with a heavier convertible I think I need the front to be lower.

I had these on my fox and really liked them. Need to give a quick coat of paint.

IMG_4972.jpeg
IMG_4973.jpeg

I wasn't aware H&R only made the stiffer springs.
That sucks since it was such a positive change for my previous setup.

I mean if this was the fox and I didn't have coil-overs, i'd be all over the H&R springs. Probably Bilstiens and Race springs as I've heard a lot of good things about that combo.

But i have different purposes in mind for the convertible. After all it's a stock convertible. Hence thinking about different springs here....

I guess it's time for a full MM suspension with coilovers to set the ride height... that would certainly clean up the suspension for you.

If the car had better paint, or was a color combo I really liked, i'd invest more money into it. Red GT with black interior/black top for example. The tan top is growing on my though. I've come to realize it stays MUCH cooler in the summer heat with the top up.

I might play with this a few years, clean it up, sell it and buy a termi convertible or Saleen convertible. Who knows. But i'm realizing i'm enjoying DD'ing a Mustang again. Today was the first day in ~3 weeks or so that I didn't drive the Mustang to work. Need to pick up fertilizer and lawn stuff at Home Depot so drove the SUV. Boring....

Reactions: 1 user
I wasn't aware H&R only made the stiffer springs.
That sucks since it was such a positive change for my previous setup.
H&R still makes the Super Sport springs but they recommend using the race springs on convertibles..
Using the race on my 83 convertible but its not on the road yet so I cannot comment on ride... I hope they are not too stiff.. When the car was on the ground I tried to bounce each corner and I weigh 230...... I didn't want to " dent " the body, but I could not get any movement out of them.....
hoping for a decent stance and ride, I am too old for a go kart ride.....
DSCF1193.JPG

From MM...

"The H&R Super Sport springs are probably some of the worst riding and handling springs available. When installed on 1994-04 vehicles they drop the vehicle close to 2", severely limiting suspension travel and allowing the car to contact the bumpstops on a regular basis"

That only leaves the Race for the SN95 convertibles. Again, this car is a cruiser so I just didn't want to go that firm.

Stock GT:
450 front
210 rear

Pro-kit/Ford G spring (convertible specific)
500-570 front
170-310 rear

Bullitt/Mach (coupe)
600 front
250 rear

H&R Race
750-850 front
250-280 rear

Really, i'd like to just get rid of some of this fender gap. Nothing crazy. On paper, the pro-kit/G spring looks to be idea for a cruise, but i do already have the bullitt/mach springs.

I loved the Bullitt/Mach springs when i ran them in the Fox.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
The H&R race spring specs don't look so bad for the rear.
But that front number looks extreme.
Been quite a while since anyone in family owned a vert, so this is somewhat of a lesson.

From MM...

"The H&R Super Sport springs are probably some of the worst riding and handling springs available. When installed on 1994-04 vehicles they drop the vehicle close to 2", severely limiting suspension travel and allowing the car to contact the bumpstops on a regular basis"

That only leaves the Race for the SN95 convertibles. Again, this car is a cruiser so I just didn't want to go that firm.

Stock GT:
450 front
210 rear

500-570 front
170-310 rear

Bullitt/Mach (coupe)
600 front
250 rear

H&R Race
750-850 front
250-280 rear

Really, i'd like to just get rid of some of this fender gap. Nothing crazy. On paper, the pro-kit/G spring looks to be idea for a cruise, but i do already have the bullitt/mach springs.

That's the first time I've heard such a negative opinion of the H&R SS springs. I may have to consider something else for my '95 in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
From MM...

Stock GT:
450 front
210 rear

500-570 front
170-310 rear

Bullitt/Mach (coupe)
600 front
250 rear

H&R Race
750-850 front
250-280 rear

I just noticed, but the Bullitt/Mach 1 springs have almost an identical rate to the Motorsport C springs.

I just noticed, but the Bullitt/Mach 1 springs have almost an identical rate to the Motorsport C springs.

They do. I had C springs and swapped them out for the bullitt/Mach springs. Ride quality improved because the car was higher and wasn’t bottoming out all the time. Another 3/4” or so of height made a big difference. With the C springs it always felt like the front end was slamming over bunps.

Drove around this AM after installing the shifter. I love MGW shifters. So tight and precise.

Original 03-04 Mach 1 knob in use as well. I used the standard handle for now, but for :poo:s and grins I might throw the race handle in.

IMG_4992.jpeg

Also, I suspect an issue with the brakes now. Maybe the front calipers are sticking? They just don’t grab at all. I need to get my parts together for the 13” front brakes.

I should pull them apart and inspect, but if I do that id rather spend the energy removing them and replacing with cobra stuff.

Because you know….just cleaning the car up

Rain this weekend, so no chance to drive the fox. I just take the ‘00 for a drive and that kinda cures the itch I guess.

So here she sits in the garage with parts for the SN95 sitting on top.

IMG_5033.jpeg

Here’s my total for the season. 28.5 miles. I’m already starting to clean up the other side of the garage so I can roll the fox in and park it for the winter and get the SN95 in the garage so I can pull it apart and really go through it.

IMG_5032.jpeg

But not yet. Hopefully a nice fall day coming up where I can get some cool foliage pics with it. I just want to replace that one hydroboost hose before end of year

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.